The Student Room Group

How to go from a 1 to a 4 in a month for Gcse maths

Im doing my gcse maths retake in summer and i need a 4, is 1 month enough to study and whats the best way to revise
Original post by ellalonsdale67
Im doing my gcse maths retake in summer and i need a 4, is 1 month enough to study and whats the best way to revise

Things that I would focus on:

Exam strategy - focus on maximising the number of marks as opposed to getting the answer perfect

Exam practice - lots of practice papers under timed conditions

Revision guides for all the weak areas, where you are most likely to make the most gains

Learn from your mistakes after reviewing your practice papers - "if you don't learn from them, you are doomed to repeat them"

Have access to tutors for quick advice if you need it

There's not much you can do in 1 month. If you had at least 6 months, you can make substantial progress. As you only have 1 month, you would want to focus on the critical areas to do what you can.
Focus on the result i.e. what you will ultimately end up doing, the exam. Any end of chapter questions are nice to help you learn, but they are not exam questions usually. Actual exam questions will test you on knowing what you need to use as well as how to use it.

A better question to ask is why did you leave it so late?
Original post by MindMax2000
Things that I would focus on:

Exam strategy - focus on maximising the number of marks as opposed to getting the answer perfect

Exam practice - lots of practice papers under timed conditions

Revision guides for all the weak areas, where you are most likely to make the most gains

Learn from your mistakes after reviewing your practice papers - "if you don't learn from them, you are doomed to repeat them"

Have access to tutors for quick advice if you need it

There's not much you can do in 1 month. If you had at least 6 months, you can make substantial progress. As you only have 1 month, you would want to focus on the critical areas to do what you can.
Focus on the result i.e. what you will ultimately end up doing, the exam. Any end of chapter questions are nice to help you learn, but they are not exam questions usually. Actual exam questions will test you on knowing what you need to use as well as how to use it.

A better question to ask is why did you leave it so late?

You try balancing 4 A levels and keeping those grades above water and plus trying to revise for gcse maths and then get back to me
You try balancing 4 A levels and keeping those grades above water and plus trying to revise for gcse maths and then get back to me

OK, try:

Experience working 70-80 hour weeks

OR

Doing multiple courses covering data science, business all at university level

+ reading at university level covering biology, engineering/physics, criminology, economics, and mathematics

+ A Levels

+ part time work/business

...totalling 60-70 hour weeks

Are we good on that front?

You can do it don't worry, 4 is certainly achievable if not higher. First get a hold of a book like the edexcel cgp book (depending on your exam board but all exam boards are pretty similar) and go through the topics and practice questions. Then do some mathsgenie/corbett maths topic questions and then do the practice papers in timed conditions. Make sure you've understood the topic before moving on and practice questions/papers consistently.

Make sure to plan in advance how long you think it'll take you to go through the topics and prioritise. If you're doing foundation then practice those papers, it also means you've got less content to worry about.

You can use the specification as a guide for what they expect you to know, watch YouTube videos just make sure you can answer the questions and that you're practicing. You can definitely do this.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Bleepbloopbop
You can do it don't worry, 4 is certainly achievable if not higher. First get a hold of a book like the edexcel cgp book (depending on your exam board but all exam boards are pretty similar) and go through the topics and practice questions. Then do some mathsgenie/corbett maths topic questions and then do the practice papers in timed conditions. Make sure you've understood the topic before moving on and practice questions/papers consistently.

Make sure to plan in advance how long you think it'll take you to go through the topics and prioritise. If you're doing foundation then practice those papers, it also means you've got less content to worry about.

You can use the specification as a guide for what they expect you to know, watch YouTube videos just make sure you can answer the questions and that you're practicing. You can definitely do this.

Thank you its appreciated.
Reply 6

Hi, it's definitely possible. The best thing to do is to do past papers. Otherwise you can watch some exam walkthroughs on youtube so that you can see everything explained to you. It's best to do a balance of the two so that you can split your time between exam practice and learning the content. corbettmaths provides some daily 5 minute sets of questions to do if you do not have the time to do a full past paper.

Quick Reply

Latest