The Student Room Group

RAF Pilot Subjects

Hi , so late last year I choose the subjects I want to finish high school with but we were only limited to 3 electives.

My electives are
*Engineering Graphics & Design
*Physics
*Information Technology

I have a dream of becoming a RAF pilot ,the RAF pilot application doesn’t mention geography specifically but I’m curious to ask on how many actual RAF pilots have geography qualifications?
Reply 1
It's not something that would be recorded as a statistic because it doesn't matter. All that is checked on application is if you meet the academic requirements.
Original post by Anarchy255
Hi , so late last year I choose the subjects I want to finish high school with but we were only limited to 3 electives.

My electives are
*Engineering Graphics & Design
*Physics
*Information Technology

I have a dream of becoming a RAF pilot ,the RAF pilot application doesn’t mention geography specifically but I’m curious to ask on how many actual RAF pilots have geography qualifications?

There have been quite a few Red Arrows pilots with Geography degrees, but the main subject areas are Engineering, Science (Physics), Maths, and Computer Science, as there is an increasing level of sophistication to the role of the pilot. Graphics and design - would avoid, as it won't give you the necessary skills.

You will also need to have an understanding of the role of the RAF, so look at https://www.kcl.ac.uk/research/freeman-air-and-space-institute, as KCL is the only university with the very best links to senior personnel at the RAF.
Reply 3
There is no need to avoid any subjects. Working as an RAF Recruiter I've had people with strong STEM grades fail aptitude tests. It's in the name; you can study all you like,but there is still a measure of inherent ability required.

Similarly, there is no need to pick certain institutes to study for a defence/air & space background. There are places like the Defence College at Shrivenham that you could be selected to attend for future courses.

Quick Reply

Latest