The Student Room Group

Choosing uni courses?

Hi all! I am currently in year 12 and thinking about what subject I want to study when I go to university. I can't decide between English lit and psychology: I enjoy both but I feel like I am a bit more well suited for the English course. At the same time, I've heard that psychology is more employable for the future and I am currently doing well in it. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to help me with my decision? Thank you :smile:
I’d say just do the course you’d enjoy most look at modules etc which is more fun and which aligns with ur career goals. It is really difficult to be motivated at uni if u don’t like ur course so it’s important. Employability id say is similar as psychology is also a really popular subject so like over subscribed iygm unless u want to be a psychologist.
Reply 2
Original post by bloograpefroot
I’d say just do the course you’d enjoy most look at modules etc which is more fun and which aligns with ur career goals. It is really difficult to be motivated at uni if u don’t like ur course so it’s important. Employability id say is similar as psychology is also a really popular subject so like over subscribed iygm unless u want to be a psychologist.

Honestly I'm not entirely sure about careers, but I'm interested in possibly becoming a child psychologist or a jouranlist or possibly a teacher? so ig they both kinda link, but as I said before I think the English course might suit me more overall if its actually what uni websites describe it as, because I'm not the biggest fan of all aspects of biology that ik is involved in the psychology course
Original post by discocat
Honestly I'm not entirely sure about careers, but I'm interested in possibly becoming a child psychologist or a jouranlist or possibly a teacher? so ig they both kinda link, but as I said before I think the English course might suit me more overall if its actually what uni websites describe it as, because I'm not the biggest fan of all aspects of biology that ik is involved in the psychology course

If English sounds a good choice for u I’d say go for it it obvs links to journalism and teaching and ultimately if u do want to become a psychologist u can do a psychology conversion course and maybe u can try to speak to students who study the same course at ur chosen uni
Hi all! I am currently in year 12 and thinking about what subject I want to study when I go to university. I can't decide between English lit and psychology: I enjoy both but I feel like I am a bit more well suited for the English course. At the same time, I've heard that psychology is more employable for the future and I am currently doing well in it. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to help me with my decision? Thank you :smile:

Heya!
If it helps, check out uniguide (courses) and prospects (careers). they should be able to help you with getting a better idea about courses :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Hello!

It's great to hear you're considering your options for university :smile: I can definitely relate as I was torn between languages and psychology when I was in 6th form. I ended up doing Modern Languages (French and Spanish) at UG and am now doing the MSc Psychology (Conversion) course!

It's difficult when you have a few passions and interests; however, I would say both subjects are quite broad and give you transferable skills. As a Psychology student, I can say that the subject is incredibly versatile that can be applied to many different fields and careers. While becoming a psychologist is certainly an option, there are many other routes you can take with a psychology degree too. I even found cross-overs between my UG and PG/T with the cultural and linguistic elements.

That being said, it's ultimately up to you to decide which subject is the best fit for you. I would recommend visiting universities and speaking to students who are studying both English literature and psychology to get a better sense of what each course entails. You can also speak with your teachers or a careers advisor to get more information about the different career paths that are available to you with each degree.

If you have any questions about Psychology in general or both English Literature and Psychology at Surrey, I would be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Good luck with your decision! :smile:

Best wishes,
Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology Student

Hi @discocat!

That sounds like a very difficult decision, and best of luck with it! I'm a current Psychology student, and whilst I wasn't struggling to decide between Psychology and English Lit., I was stuck between Psychology and either Biology or Geography. I might be able to provide some insight into the sorts of things you would be doing in a Psychology degree, and whether you still feel that you are best suited to English!

I saw that you mentioned that you aren't the biggest fan of the biology aspects of psychology, and the biology parts are still taught at university, and in more depth as well. Whilst I have enjoyed the psychology and neuroscience modules, these are the parts that I have struggled the most with, so I do understand to some extent your struggle. The good thing is that, at least in my degree, there are lots of other modules that don't involve in depth biology, and focus more on other concepts, such as social psychology.

For me, what it came to in the end was the subject that I enjoyed the most. Whilst I enjoyed both biology and geography, I could see myself being happier studying psychology, and could more easily see myself having a career in psychology than either of the other two areas. My advice would be to go into whichever subject you think you will enjoy the most!

Best of luck!

~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest