The Student Room Group

Maths or Physics A-Level

Hi!

I’m struggling to decide which of these 2 a-levels to take. I’m not sure whether I would want to go to uni or not, but if i did I think the social science courses or business/marketing courses would appeal most.

Key points:

My grades are slightly higher for physics (7 for maths, 7+ for physics)
Maths seems more useful for uni/employment
I’m a bit more interested in physics

I’ll also be taking Business or economics and one other a-level.

Thanks!
Original post by DancerGirl23
Hi!

I’m struggling to decide which of these 2 a-levels to take. I’m not sure whether I would want to go to uni or not, but if i did I think the social science courses or business/marketing courses would appeal most.

Key points:

Thanks!

Maths would be the more relevant A Level then.

Physics without maths is not very helpful. Those courses that require physics usually require maths alongside it. The only occasions where physics can be used is if it's for what I call a filler for a science subject (e.g. a degree in a specific subject requires any 2 sciences) or you use it to fill grade requirements (e.g. 3 As in any subject).

If you do maths, you're eligible to do degrees in the following subjects (if you have the right grades):

Maths

Physics (alongside physics)

Engineering (if accompanied with the relevant science)

Data science and data analytics

Financial mathematics/engineering and actuarial science

Economics (qunatitative degrees)

Degrees that require at least one science (e.g. radiography, optometry, geology, etc.)

Computer science

Physics would allow you options in:

Physics (alongside maths)

Most areas of Engineering

Degrees that require at least one science (e.g. radiography, optometry, geology, etc.)

If economics, data science/analytics or business analytics, financial mathematics/engineering and actuarial science are subjects that appeal to you, then doing maths would be highly recommended.

If you meant social science as in sociology, criminology, human geography, education, politics, psychology, anthropology, social work, etc. then you technically don't need specific A Levels, just the right grades (some psychology degrees might ask for psychology or biology though). Even then, the statistics that you learn in A Level Maths would be more relevant to the quantiative research modules in these degrees than the mechanics in physics.

Business and marketing are subjects that accept any 3 random A Levels at the right grades. I am biased against doing business and marketing degrees, so I am not a person you would get a fair opinion from regarding this.

I personally go with maths (although I am a fan of both physics and maths), but if you're happier doing physics and you can't see it affecting your application for any of the above then do physics.
Original post by MindMax2000
Maths would be the more relevant A Level then.

Physics without maths is not very helpful. Those courses that require physics usually require maths alongside it. The only occasions where physics can be used is if it's for what I call a filler for a science subject (e.g. a degree in a specific subject requires any 2 sciences) or you use it to fill grade requirements (e.g. 3 As in any subject).

If you do maths, you're eligible to do degrees in the following subjects (if you have the right grades):

Maths

Physics (alongside physics)

Engineering (if accompanied with the relevant science)

Data science and data analytics

Financial mathematics/engineering and actuarial science

Economics (qunatitative degrees)

Computer science

Physics would allow you options in:

Physics (alongside maths)

Most areas of Engineering

If economics, data science/analytics or business analytics, financial mathematics/engineering and actuarial science are subjects that appeal to you, then doing maths would be highly recommended.

If you meant social science as in sociology, criminology, human geography, education, politics, psychology, anthropology, social work, etc. then you technically don't need specific A Levels, just the right grades (some psychology degrees might ask for psychology or biology though). Even then, the statistics that you learn in A Level Maths would be more relevant to the quantiative research modules in these degrees than the mechanics in physics.

Business and marketing are subjects that accept any 3 random A Levels at the right grades. I am biased against doing business and marketing degrees, so I am not a person you would get a fair opinion from regarding this.

I personally go with maths (although I am a fan of both physics and maths), but if you're happier doing physics and you can't see it affecting your application for any of the above then do physics.

Thanks for your detailed response! As you’ve said, Maths does open more opportunities for uni in terms of economics, actuarial science etc, and the Informed Choices website indicates as such, but I do worry a bit that I might not Be able to keep up with the maths course, especially if I find it a bit less interesting
Thanks for your detailed response! As you’ve said, Maths does open more opportunities for uni in terms of economics, actuarial science etc, and the Informed Choices website indicates as such, but I do worry a bit that I might not Be able to keep up with the maths course, especially if I find it a bit less interesting

You need to choose subjects that you enjoy and will do well in. A level maths is a big step up from GCSE and, IMO, you need to be scoring an 8/9 at GCSE to get a good grade at A level.

Some resources that might help you:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
It's up to you, but Maths sounds like it would fit better with your other options. Either way, there's a lot of overlap between the two; a lot of the mechanics in Physics is also in Maths. If I remember correctly, I think Physics is also the harder out of the two. And at most sixth forms, they let you switch your subjects in the first few weeks if you change your mind. I changed my A Level subjects twice during the first month.
Good luck choosing!
Original post by normaw
You need to choose subjects that you enjoy and will do well in. A level maths is a big step up from GCSE and, IMO, you need to be scoring an 8/9 at GCSE to get a good grade at A level.

Some resources that might help you:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/

Thanks for your reply. I am a bit worried about the GCSE grades And whether they will be high enough, my 6th form will let me take maths alevel with a 7, but im hoping to put a bit More time aside for maths And maybe get my grade up a bit. Thanks for the web links too, I’ll have a look at them
Original post by connor.h
It's up to you, but Maths sounds like it would fit better with your other options. Either way, there's a lot of overlap between the two; a lot of the mechanics in Physics is also in Maths. If I remember correctly, I think Physics is also the harder out of the two. And at most sixth forms, they let you switch your subjects in the first few weeks if you change your mind. I changed my A Level subjects twice during the first month.
Good luck choosing!

Thanks for your reply. I suppose that the mechanics side of maths might make the course appeal to me more as it would be kind of similar to aspects of physics anyway. Thankfully my 6th form do let you change subjects in the first couple of weeks if you aren’t happy with your choice, so what I pick now isn’t necessarily set in stone.

Did you find it hard though to catch up with what you’d missed in the first few weeks when you changed courses?
Thanks for your reply. I suppose that the mechanics side of maths might make the course appeal to me more as it would be kind of similar to aspects of physics anyway. Thankfully my 6th form do let you change subjects in the first couple of weeks if you aren’t happy with your choice, so what I pick now isn’t necessarily set in stone.

Did you find it hard though to catch up with what you’d missed in the first few weeks when you changed courses?

Personally, I didn't really. I think I switched in mid-October to chemistry (from physics), and they had mainly been going over GCSE content during that time anyway. I think it depends on the person though, so perhaps it would be a good idea to spend a little bit of time every week studying the subject you didn't choose/might switch to whilst you're settling in.
Reply 8
same problem here!

im unsure if i should do: maths, econ, phys + eng lit
OR: maths, econ, comp sci, eng lit
eng lit as a 4th as i dont need it formy career, nor do i like it - i am just good ad it
Hi!

Key points:

Thanks!

Maths seems a better fit with your other subjects.
Original post by connor.h
Personally, I didn't really. I think I switched in mid-October to chemistry (from physics), and they had mainly been going over GCSE content during that time anyway. I think it depends on the person though, so perhaps it would be a good idea to spend a little bit of time every week studying the subject you didn't choose/might switch to whilst you're settling in.

THAts a really good idea about studying a little for the subject I might switch to! THanks!
Original post by e.rahnx
same problem here!

im unsure if i should do: maths, econ, phys + eng lit
OR: maths, econ, comp sci, eng lit
eng lit as a 4th as i dont need it formy career, nor do i like it - i am just good ad it

Hi! Glad to know it’s not just me struggling to decide this kind of thing. Either of your alevel combos sound good to me and like the subjects would go together well, so I guess just base it on grades and/or future career plans if you can, but i realise it’s not always that simple to decide!
Original post by Emma:-)
Maths seems a better fit with your other subjects.

Ok, thanks for replying!

Quick Reply

Latest