The Student Room Group

Help me choose the best combo for a levels?

I'm very early to this, I'm only in Yr 9. But, I still want to find out what would be best. I want to be a psychologist, and then later in life, a therapist. In GSCEs, I'm planning on doing either chemistry/biology, maths, English, French, (all those are mandatory), and geography, as well as psychology if my school offers it. (Advice on GSCE choices welcome) so, at a levels, I'm thinking of doing biology/chemistry, psychology, and if I must, maths. I'm not keen on maths but im still quite good at it (93.3% on my last test). Ok, fire your suggestions at me!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Your GCSE options don't really matter.

For A-level generally a core science (biology/chemistry/maths/physics) plus a second science (from the above plus psychology and sometimes geography is also accepted) will usually suffice for the vast majority of unis. I gather of the core sciences, biology is the most useful background, followed by maths. I think for psychology itself though chemistry is probably a bit unnecessary from what I've heard?

Psychology, biology, plus another is probably a perfectly suitable combination I should imagine. Note this is for psychology - if you wanted to study neuroscience, or wanted to become a psychiatrist (and thus had to do medicine) then chemistry would be very desirable or sometimes even required.

@Noodlzzz might be able to give some further insight :smile:
Tbh I wound the worrying about it.
You've got 4ish years at least till you submit your ucas form, no doubt you will have changed what you want to do by then, especially after looking round some unis
Original post by artful_lounger
Your GCSE options don't really matter.

For A-level generally a core science (biology/chemistry/maths/physics) plus a second science (from the above plus psychology and sometimes geography is also accepted) will usually suffice for the vast majority of unis. I gather of the core sciences, biology is the most useful background, followed by maths. I think for psychology itself though chemistry is probably a bit unnecessary from what I've heard?

Psychology, biology, plus another is probably a perfectly suitable combination I should imagine. Note this is for psychology - if you wanted to study neuroscience, or wanted to become a psychiatrist (and thus had to do medicine) then chemistry would be very desirable or sometimes even required.

@Noodlzzz might be able to give some further insight :smile:

Thanks so much! I was aiming towards psychology, biology, and maths (maths to help with the biology). I'm not keen on other sciences so I think this is best. U were very helpful
Original post by .p.e.r.s.o.n.
Thanks so much! I was aiming towards psychology, biology, and maths (maths to help with the biology). I'm not keen on other sciences so I think this is best. U were very helpful

I gather maths is useful but if you don't enjoy it there's not much point forcing yourself through it (as more than likely you'd just get a worse grade which would do more harm than taking maths would have benefited you anyway). I doubt A-level Maths will be particularly illuminating for the purpose of A-level Biology specifically either.
Yeah, thanks. I hadn't really thought of that, so I might look for alternatives that I like such as English, since I've looked into the application process and requirements for some unis and most only require 1 out of maths biology physics and chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest