The Student Room Group

Rate my GCSE options?

Hi, I'm not really sure what career I want to do but I'm proably going to go to university. I do know that A-Levels matter more than GCSEs however I still want to get my GCSE options right. I'm thinking of going into a STEM career most likely.
My compulasry options are:
English literature
English Language
Higher Mathmatics
Triple Science
MFL French (compulasry language)
Geograpghy (compulsary humanity)
My options:
Computer Science
History

This gives me 10 GCSEs. And I have to complete/do the Ebacc. Do you think my options are good? Do they work well together and give me a wide range of directions/careers to go in to? Just tell me what you think. Thanks!🙂
(edited 1 year ago)
they're good as long as you enjoy it it'll be fine
Original post by nerfgun2
they're good as long as you enjoy it it'll be fine

Thanks for the reply. I enjoy and good at all of them.
Reply 3
completely agree - as long as they're subjects you enjoy you and you feel confident with them at the moment they will be great options for you. My school gave the option of choosing geography and/or history and/or a language - heavily encouraging a language but not making it compulsory. I chose to geography and spanish + 2 other options. I know of people who have chosen both geog and history and find that the work load is very high, particularly from history. This may, however, be because most of the history department left during the 3 year course leaving multiple classes without teachers for a prolonged period of time (my school is supposed to have 7 history teachers, it is not because the school is at all small lol). History stidents mostly find that there is extensive amounts to learn and revise; however, as i say, this may be because they were left to 'fend for themselves' due to the lack of proper teaching. If you feel happy with the options you are choosing and get on well with the respective departments though, I'm sure you'll do great!
Original post by leachy_
completely agree - as long as they're subjects you enjoy you and you feel confident with them at the moment they will be great options for you. My school gave the option of choosing geography and/or history and/or a language - heavily encouraging a language but not making it compulsory. I chose to geography and spanish + 2 other options. I know of people who have chosen both geog and history and find that the work load is very high, particularly from history. This may, however, be because most of the history department left during the 3 year course leaving multiple classes without teachers for a prolonged period of time (my school is supposed to have 7 history teachers, it is not because the school is at all small lol). History stidents mostly find that there is extensive amounts to learn and revise; however, as i say, this may be because they were left to 'fend for themselves' due to the lack of proper teaching. If you feel happy with the options you are choosing and get on well with the respective departments though, I'm sure you'll do great!

Thanks for the comment and support. I don't think any of our history teachers are leaving any time soon as most of them just joined this year. I really enjoy those subjects so I think I'm going to excel in them. Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest