The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Edinburgh uni vs KLC vs Birmingham uni vs Sheffield uni

Hey guys,

I'm struggling with which 3 of the above unis I should apply for (I already am considering Manchester and Glasgow). Note I aspire to study medicine in uni.

Important factors of uni for me include:
- academic prestige (preferably in the top 100 of QS world university rankings, or even top 50)
- the standard/reputation of the medicine courses
- nightlife (this is a big factor for me, as I want to enjoy my time in uni)
- busy, bustling city vibe (like London - I really want this atmosphere)
- student satisfaction
- multiculturalism (basically not only white people lol 😆 )
- people are mostly friendly

What I've heard so far (correct me if I'm wrong):
- Edinburgh is a very prestige uni, and the nightlife is ok
- KLC is also very prestige, but apparently has low student satisfaction rates, is too expensive and thus has poor nightlife (but has bustling city vibe)
- Birmingham is kind of prestige, has good nightlife, and has the bustling city vibe
- Sheffield is not really prestige, but has amazing nightlife (one of the top in UK), but lacks bustling city vibe
^^I'm not sure about the multiculturalism of any of the above / the 'friendliness' of people haha

All responses/advice will be much appreciated, thanks!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by twilight1234
Hey guys,

I'm struggling with which 2 of the above unis I should apply for (I already am considering Newcastle, Manchester, and Glasgow).

Important factors of uni for me include:
- academic prestige (preferably in the top 100 of QS world university rankings, or even top 50)
- nightlife (this is a big factor for me, as I want to enjoy my time in uni)
- busy, bustling city vibe (like London - I really want this atmosphere)
- student satisfaction
- multiculturalism (basically not only white people lol 😆 )
- people are mostly friendly

What I've heard so far (correct me if I'm wrong):
- Edinburgh is a very prestige uni, and the nightlife is ok
- KLC is also very prestige, but apparently has low student satisfaction rates, is too expensive and thus has poor nightlife (but has bustling city vibe)
- Birmingham is kind of prestige, has good nightlife, and has the bustling city vibe
- Sheffield is not really prestige, but has amazing nightlife (one of the top in UK), but lacks bustling city vibe
^^I'm not sure about the multiculturalism of any of the above / the 'friendliness' of people haha

All responses/advice will be much appreciated, thanks!

I find it odd that nowhere have you mentioned anything about the course you're hoping to study, nor how the course varies between those different unis. You are attending uni for the course / degree, aren't you - not just the nightlife? :wink:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by DataVenia
I find it odd that nowhere have you mentioned anything about the course you're hoping to study, nor how the course varies between those different unis. You are attending uni for the course / degree, aren't you - not just the nightlife? :wink:

Oh sorry, I thought I added it haha. I will edit my post now - I want to do med.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending