The Student Room Group

Disabled Teacher Prospects

I could do with some advice, I’m planning on applying to a primary PGCE in the next year or so. I‘m a bit concerned because I’m visibly autistic and a wheelchair user. I’m not concerned about the sensory environment of a classroom, I went through mainstream education without an EHCP, so know I can manage that aspect. I’m more concerned about how to set boundaries with the children around appropriate questions, not touching my wheelchair/me without consent (I have issues with random adults grabbing me and would rather not have students do it too), how to build positive relationships with the students, and the physical demands of teaching. I’m also worried about whether a school would be willing to take on the extra work of making sure my classroom assignment and duties are accessible for me.
Hi, The fact that you would like to teach and have managed your disability well until now suggests that you could pursue a career in teaching. Most people that I talk to about considering teaching have similar concerns around how to set boundaries and classroom management, whether they are able bodied or have a disability and teacher training is designed to teach you all of that. You may find that some schools are not accessible at the moment, but the disability discrimination act is there to support you and prevent you having this as a problem.

I would advise you to sign up for an Explore Teaching adviser from the DFE - we work with anyone considering teaching and what it is like in the classroom and then you can make an informed choice. We are all teachers and can be honest with you about the career. It is free, personalised, 1:1 support. You can talk through your worries with us and gain a good understanding of what teaching is like before you make the decision to train. To sign up go to: https://adviser-getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/ Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending