The Student Room Group

GCSE Stress Y9

We've started gcse content now at the end of y9 and I'm stressing a lot because I'm really struggling. My maths teacher can't explain well at all and I don't know what to do. Advice please?
Original post by lexistar
We've started gcse content now at the end of y9 and I'm stressing a lot because I'm really struggling. My maths teacher can't explain well at all and I don't know what to do. Advice please?

I'm sure there should be another maths teacher that can explain, maybe try finding someone else to explain for you. Do you have any friends / classmates that you know, they couldhelp.
Also there are some yt channels I recommend:
https://www.youtube.com/@TheGCSEMathsTutor
https://www.youtube.com/@mathsgenie7808
Reply 2
Thanks for the channels

I have no friends in my maths class and I'm an awkward introvert with social anxiety so I find it nerve-wracking just to ask people. Hopefully the yt channels will help tysm!
use mathsmadeeasy, it was literally a godsend for me when doing graphs.
also try loads of practice questions, twinkl is quite useful if you struggle with the basics/foundations for a topic.
use doctorfrostmaths if your school has the website
Reply 4
thank you! twinkl makes me remember primary 😭
graphs are the only thing I can do lmao I just forget to draw lines of best fit
Reply 5
me just realizing we finished ks3 maths syllabus halfway through y9 f*ck I'm really f*cked for y11
Reply 6
Corbettmaths is another really nice Maths channel to add to syntax_error and pacificatlas, especially for short and concise videos on topics you're struggling with :smile:.
Especially with Maths, practice does make perfect, and please remember that though it seems daunting when you see GCSE topics for the first time, in a year or two it will be near enough second nature for you - it might not seem like far away, but the time is more than enough to get to grips with it generally.

Also in regard to your recent post, note that many schools don't actually start GCSEs until Year 10 - but even that is still long enough. Remember that there are always people to help you out if you feel overwhelmed.

You may get a different teacher in Year 10, hopefully, but if you don't and continue to struggle even with the videos you can always speak to someone (e.g. a family member or teacher you trust), as they could get you moved or change some stuff for you. I hope this helped, my overarching point here I suppose is that 2 years is a really long time, so don't fret as it should all fall into place. Best of luck with your future and GCSEs, hope all goes well :biggrin:
Reply 7
Thank you! They started because we're top set but I should be fine. Luckily I do have less chance of getting my current teacher next year and if I do I'll ask to move; there's 0 point moving now tbh
Reply 8
Thank you! They started because we're top set but I should be fine. Luckily I do have less chance of getting my current teacher next year and if I do I'll ask to move; there's 0 point moving now tbh

how are you finding maths now? any good?
Reply 9
Original post by Alm_xo
how are you finding maths now? any good?
i have a teacher who can teach and im getting in the 80s/90s percentage bracket! thanks <3
Reply 10
i have a teacher who can teach and im getting in the 80s/90s percentage bracket! thanks <3
ooh that's good! keep it up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest