The Student Room Group

Psychology with criminology at Loughborough

I'm thinking of changing my course from criminology to psych with crim, or just psych.

My biggest concern is that the modules for psych and crim with psych don't look too interesting to me and seem very vague. The psych with crim course also doesn't have any optional modules so I'm a bit unsure of it. I don't want to give up on lboro yet because I've heard good things and it ranks high. I also have an offer holders day soon so I'll be able to get insight.

If I could hear anyone's experiences with these courses, and about living in lboro in general, that would be really great!
Original post by drag0nslyr
I'm thinking of changing my course from criminology to psych with crim, or just psych.

My biggest concern is that the modules for psych and crim with psych don't look too interesting to me and seem very vague. The psych with crim course also doesn't have any optional modules so I'm a bit unsure of it. I don't want to give up on lboro yet because I've heard good things and it ranks high. I also have an offer holders day soon so I'll be able to get insight.

If I could hear anyone's experiences with these courses, and about living in lboro in general, that would be really great!
Hi @drag0nslyr ,

Great to hear you are considering Loughborough!

I study straight Psychology at Loughborough. The rankings for Psychology at Loughborough are high. I personally really enjoy the course here as you have the opportunity to learn many aspects of Psychology through many different modules. I believe the modules have been interesting and in first year gave me a base knowledge that I needed.

From my experience from having friends who do Psychology with Criminology (which is the same for Sport Psychology) the reason there aren't optional modules in first and second year (there are optional modules in final year) is because everyone across Psychology will do the same 'general' modules but when straight psychology have the option to chose a module, students who are on the criminology path don't get a choice in what they pick as for it to be a Psychology with Criminology degree you have to complete the criminology modules. For example in Year 1 Semester 2 both courses have 'Cognitive Research' and 'Understanding the brain'. Criminology students have to do 'An Introduction into the Criminal Justice System' however here straight Psychology students get an option to tailor their Psychology degree into different avenues. The good thing I have found with this is I have been able to do a mixture of sport optional modules and educational as I wasn't set on a certain area of Psychology. If you know Criminology is an area you want to get into then I think it would be perfect for you. I would recommend you compare both Psychology and Psychology with Criminology courses with the modules and optional modules. I would also check if you did want to do straight Psychology that the optional modules suited you as I am not sure you can pick criminology modules here.

If you have any questions about the course I would recommend contacting admissions: [email protected]

Some insight into Loughborough in general. Loughborough is very much a student town and as you are on a campus it has such a strong community feel- I really love this as it is not as overwhelming as being in a big city and you tend to see a lot of people you know. The facilities at Loughborough are amazing- particularly for sport but also for learning. During the week most social events happens on campus through the Student Union. For example, there tend to be 2 nights out in the week (Wednesday and Friday) and events during the day which differ week to week. Take a look at our student union website for more insight here. At the weekends more seems to happen off campus. In town (which is walking distance from campus) there are multiple pubs, bars, cafe's, restaurants and nightclubs which tend to be full of students at the weekend.

Sorry that is a lot of information! I hope this helps 🙂

Alex
Reply 2
Original post by Loughborough Student Community
Hi @drag0nslyr ,

Great to hear you are considering Loughborough!

I study straight Psychology at Loughborough. The rankings for Psychology at Loughborough are high. I personally really enjoy the course here as you have the opportunity to learn many aspects of Psychology through many different modules. I believe the modules have been interesting and in first year gave me a base knowledge that I needed.

From my experience from having friends who do Psychology with Criminology (which is the same for Sport Psychology) the reason there aren't optional modules in first and second year (there are optional modules in final year) is because everyone across Psychology will do the same 'general' modules but when straight psychology have the option to chose a module, students who are on the criminology path don't get a choice in what they pick as for it to be a Psychology with Criminology degree you have to complete the criminology modules. For example in Year 1 Semester 2 both courses have 'Cognitive Research' and 'Understanding the brain'. Criminology students have to do 'An Introduction into the Criminal Justice System' however here straight Psychology students get an option to tailor their Psychology degree into different avenues. The good thing I have found with this is I have been able to do a mixture of sport optional modules and educational as I wasn't set on a certain area of Psychology. If you know Criminology is an area you want to get into then I think it would be perfect for you. I would recommend you compare both Psychology and Psychology with Criminology courses with the modules and optional modules. I would also check if you did want to do straight Psychology that the optional modules suited you as I am not sure you can pick criminology modules here.

If you have any questions about the course I would recommend contacting admissions: [email protected]

Some insight into Loughborough in general. Loughborough is very much a student town and as you are on a campus it has such a strong community feel- I really love this as it is not as overwhelming as being in a big city and you tend to see a lot of people you know. The facilities at Loughborough are amazing- particularly for sport but also for learning. During the week most social events happens on campus through the Student Union. For example, there tend to be 2 nights out in the week (Wednesday and Friday) and events during the day which differ week to week. Take a look at our student union website for more insight here. At the weekends more seems to happen off campus. In town (which is walking distance from campus) there are multiple pubs, bars, cafe's, restaurants and nightclubs which tend to be full of students at the weekend.

Sorry that is a lot of information! I hope this helps 🙂

Alex
Thanks, this was really insightful!

Quick Reply

Latest