The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of art school to pursue physics?

Im in my first year of art school right now, and I keep having doubts about not doing a physics degree. I love physics a lot, and am reading a physics book in my spare time. I also love illustration and would probably pursue it in the future, but I know that illustration would be relatively easy to get back into without a degree, whereas vice versa it would be quite hard. (I also know that having more physics knowledge would probably inspire my art).
I know student finance offers another year for situations like this but I would still have to think about the financial implications.
I did art, physics, and maths for alevel and got A,A*,A* (A in physics). Ive slightly forgotten all of my alevel knowledge so id have to reteach myself things, and I’m not even sure if id be accepted anywhere. Still, my biggest worry is if I’ll regret not doing a physics course… and this would be my last chance right now. Should I start seriously considering it or not? I know I’ll enjoy it less compared to art school, so would it be worth it? (Especially considering i could easily go into the illustration industry afterwards if i wanted.)
Reply 1
You will always regret it if you don’t do it now . So you should pursue it if you are having doubts about your current choice .
Original post by misosoupp
Im in my first year of art school right now, and I keep having doubts about not doing a physics degree. I love physics a lot, and am reading a physics book in my spare time. I also love illustration and would probably pursue it in the future, but I know that illustration would be relatively easy to get back into without a degree, whereas vice versa it would be quite hard. (I also know that having more physics knowledge would probably inspire my art).
I know student finance offers another year for situations like this but I would still have to think about the financial implications.
I did art, physics, and maths for alevel and got A,A*,A* (A in physics). Ive slightly forgotten all of my alevel knowledge so id have to reteach myself things, and I’m not even sure if id be accepted anywhere. Still, my biggest worry is if I’ll regret not doing a physics course… and this would be my last chance right now. Should I start seriously considering it or not? I know I’ll enjoy it less compared to art school, so would it be worth it? (Especially considering i could easily go into the illustration industry afterwards if i wanted.)

Apply and see what you get in terms of offers. You don't have to make a decision until much later next year. It might not be an option if you get no offers - so you need to actually have a choice to make, before you decide.
Reply 3
Original post by misosoupp

I would say go for physics, as you said, its much easier to go back into illustrations than it is physics. I would recommend getting some advice from the careers service at your uni/college as they are usually very informed about situations like this. Getting an A in A-level Physics is NOT an easy thing to do let alone get A*A*A across your A-levels, you're definitely cut out for academia! I'm studying Biomedical Science and I took a gap year so I was also quite concerned about forgetting content but first year is all about teaching you the basics so I don't thing you need to worry too much about that, I successfully made it into my 2nd year without any resists so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Best of luck with it, which ever you pick I hope you're happy doing it! :smile:
Reply 4
Up to you I suppose, there must have been a reason you didnt want to do a STEM course in the first place, but if that reason doesn't seem important any more...
Reply 5
i think the reason i wanna study physics is to inspire my art.. which is kinda paradoxical

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending