The Student Room Group

Computer science work experience

Hi, I'm currently a year 12 student and I want to study software engineering or computer science at university and I want to find some work experience suitable for my level. But it's been quite hard since all I can really find are 3-month-long internships or work experience for university students which I can't do so I was wondering if anyone here has any good suggestions or places that can provide this.

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by ErayAXZ
Hi, I'm currently a year 12 student and I want to study software engineering or computer science at university and I want to find some work experience suitable for my level. But it's been quite hard since all I can really find are 3-month-long internships or work experience for university students which I can't do so I was wondering if anyone here has any good suggestions or places that can provide this.

Thank you

I will always recommend Springpod as a nice way of getting some work experience for those harsher subjects. It gives your virtual work experience that still looks really good on a CV or Personal Statement, and has many (especially for IT) from big companies and such. Might be something to check out?
Pre uni, computer science is hard to get experience with.

What does look really good however, is just doing your own sort of work experience. You could also read books about it but that's often recommended. By the former I mean just doing some computer science projects - e.g. if you're interested in full stack you could make a film review website, or if you're interested in UX/UI you could design that. That makes a good conversation point for interviews and a personal statement, looks really good because it shows your skills and passion for it. Really for a subject like computer science for uni, passion is more important than work experience and that's a perfect way to do that.

Plenty get a degree with Compsci without any work experience, and only a few projects of something like that. Hope that helps! Best of luck with your a levels and the future :biggrin:
Hi! As Moss has said, doing your own "work experience" and projects do look good on a personal statement. If you want a bit more guidance on where you can find these kinds of tutorials, you can look at MOOCs or courses such as the ones offered in freeCodeCamp which is a pretty popular website. FreeCodeCamp also does YouTube videos for some video-based courses and tutorials but there are plenty of other YouTubers who post similar content so have a look into what interests you!

Hope that helps!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest