The Student Room Group

(Urgent) Is an AS-Level Qualification in Further-Maths worth it? Exam is in ~3 Weeks

Hey,
I am taking 4 A-Levels rn, Maths, FM, CS, Physics

My FM exam is pretty soon but honestly i think i wont be able to perform really well as i still need to cover a bit of the course.
My other Alevels are pretty strong

And no i dont plan to get into the top 5 Uni's. I dont even know if i wanna go to any Uni yet.
Should i drop it though i already payed for my Exam fees?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I appreciate any advice
Original post by D4veB
Hey,

My FM exam is pretty soon but honestly i think i wont be able to perform really well as i still need to cover a bit of the course.

And no i dont plan to get into the top 5 Uni's. I dont even know if i wanna go to any Uni yet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I appreciate any advice

Dropping with just three weeks to go would seem unwise.

Also, your thread title is "(Urgent) Is an AS-Level Qualification in Further-Maths worth it? Exam is in ~3 Weeks" whilst your post says, "I am taking 4 A-Levels..."

Is the exam which is three weeks' time an AS level exam or an A level exam?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia

Also, your thread title is "(Urgent) Is an AS-Level Qualification in Further-Maths worth it? Exam is in ~3 Weeks" whilst your post says, "I am taking 4 A-Levels..."

I am in the first year of my A-levels right now. So all of my exams are AS
Original post by D4veB

Which country are you in and why are you paying for exams?
Original post by D4veB

Understood. Well, I'd say that dropping a subject with just three weeks ago would seem like a waste of all the effort you've put in to date.

Note that if you opt to apply to university at some point, you would need to enter your Further Maths anyway (even if you drop it now) as, "If you studied at a uni or college but didn't finish the course, you still need to enter these details. Include the start and finish date, and state that you didn't receive any qualifications there." (Source)

If you don't attend the exam, your result will be recorded as "NO RESULT (X)". I realise that you say, "i wont be able to perform really well" but would an "X" really be better than a mediocre grade?
Reply 5

Understood. Well, I'd say that dropping a subject with just three weeks ago would seem like a waste of all the effort you've put in to date.

Note that if you opt to apply to university at some point, you would need to enter your Further Maths anyway (even if you drop it now) as, "If you studied at a uni or college but didn't finish the course, you still need to enter these details. Include the start and finish date, and state that you didn't receive any qualifications there." (Source)

If you don't attend the exam, your result will be recorded as "NO RESULT (X)". I realise that you say, "i wont be able to perform really well" but would an "X" really be better than a mediocre grade?

I didn't realise that i have to forward all of my A-levels even if i dropped them during the course, so thank you I will take the exam and just do as best as i can.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
Which country are you in and why are you paying for exams?

I am in the UK taking CIE A-Levels. Each Subject is like 100£
Original post by D4veB
I am in the UK taking CIE A-Levels. Each Subject is like 100£

Private school?
Reply 8
Private school?

Yes but i dont think it matters
Original post by D4veB
Yes but i dont think it matters

I wondered why you were paying for exams.

Haven't you been taught the whole course? What grade are you working at?

You need to make sure you completely withdraw if you don't want a grade on your results sheet.
Reply 10
I wondered why you were paying for exams.

Haven't you been taught the whole course? What grade are you working at?

You need to make sure you completely withdraw if you don't want a grade on your results sheet.

I have been taught like 80% of the course and got the rest as video lectures to study over the holidays, I just havent finished all of further mechanics yet
and I still need to go over proof by induction and vectors as i dont remember much from them.

And for the fees, see here: https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/why-choose-us/join-cambridge/our-fees/
Original post by D4veB
I have been taught like 80% of the course and got the rest as video lectures to study over the holidays, I just havent finished all of further mechanics yet
and I still need to go over proof by induction and vectors as i dont remember much from them.

And for the fees, see here: https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/why-choose-us/join-cambridge/our-fees/

State schols pay the exam fees :smile:

Talk to your exams officer - if you withdraw will you have to declare you attempted and were entered for the course?
Original post by D4veB
Hey,

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I appreciate any advice

Heya!
Since its only three weeks left, I would suggest trying your best and seeing how it goes. After, talk to your teachers about the possibility of dropping it :h: If it helps, study mind has free resources.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest