The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Can I change my university course?

Hello,
I applied to study Sociology at the University of Bristol starting in September 2023. I have now decided I want to take Psychology. I meet the grade and entry requirements for both subjects.
It is now April so I'm assuming most spaces have already been filled so will this be possible? If not what should my next steps be? Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,
I applied to study Sociology at the University of Bristol starting in September 2023. I have now decided I want to take Psychology. I meet the grade and entry requirements for both subjects.
It is now April so I'm assuming most spaces have already been filled so will this be possible? If not what should my next steps be? Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

It's possible, if they have space. Contact Bristol's Admissions department and ask the question. It won't put your existing application / offer in jeopardy. However, don't be surprised if they say you'll need to wait until A level results day to see if they have space.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
If they do say I need to wait until results day how do I firm my offer? Would I need to firm the Sociology course?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

Hopefully the Bristol rep will help, but from my experience your best bet is too email them (details on their website), to find out if they'd accept you onto their psychology course. That's the only way you can be sure, but they may still have spaces/put you on a waitlist so it's always worth checking.

In regard to next steps, in my eyes there are four options:

Depending on your thoughts: carry on with sociology and maybe apply to do a masters in psychology. Probably not the best choice if you don't want to anymore.

Decline the offer and take gap year out. You could get some work experience and such and reapply next year.

Accept another uni's offer if you have any. Again, probably not good if its the same course or if Bristol was your favourite.

Probably the most recommended if they can't fit you in: go through clearing. There's a lot of info about this and you've probably heard it before, but many unis have free spaces after A-level results are received because people don't get the grades or some other reason. You can phone these unis up (may even work for Bristol) and see if they'd be willing to take you onto their course. Bit stressful, but if they have no spaces before it might be your best bet to go this route.

I hope that helps! Congratulations on your offer, and best of luck with whatever you do :biggrin:
Thank you, I've emailed the uni so we'll see what happens now...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending