The Student Room Group

A level english literature

I need help with the question “what is prohibited can be tempting. In this light of view consider ways in which writers explore the temptation of what is disallowed?” (30)

- The book I’m reading is A Doll’s House and Christina Rossetti Poems!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by yeatlover123
I need help with the question “what is prohibited can be tempting. In this light of view consider ways in which writers explore the temptation of what is disallowed?” (30)

- The book I’m reading is A Doll’s House and Christina Rossetti Poems!

Hi, I would say for a Doll's House you can talk about how Nora is constantly deceptive and lies to her husband even though she feels guilty for her actions and going against his wishes. Also how she enjoys working to pay back her loan to Krogstad as it is "just like being a man" even though women weren't supposed to work at the time- link to the constant pressure to be the angel in the house. Maybe you could even talk about the macaroon that she is so tempted to have and indulge in even though her husband prohibits it.
My class have only just started Rossetti but you could talk about the fruit in Goblin Market and how there are many references to Eve destroying the garden of Eden an giving into temptation and eating the forbidden fruit (in Shut Out etc).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending