The Student Room Group

BMAT or UCAS

Hi all,

I am a Y12 A-Level Student. I am interested in studying Medicine at university. My top choice unis are Imperial and UCL. I am aware that these universities only require the BMAT. Would it be a logical decision to just sit the BMAT and put my all to get the highest possible score rather than also revise for the UCAT and apply to schools I am not interested in at all? Please be aware that I REALLY want to go Imperial. I only really want to go there to study Medicine. UCL is pretty much a back-up option.
Reply 2

My year is the last set of applicants to be sitting the BMAT.
Reply 3
Original post by z4ra.x
Hi all,

I am a Y12 A-Level Student. I am interested in studying Medicine at university. My top choice unis are Imperial and UCL. I am aware that these universities only require the BMAT. Would it be a logical decision to just sit the BMAT and put my all to get the highest possible score rather than also revise for the UCAT and apply to schools I am not interested in at all? Please be aware that I REALLY want to go Imperial. I only really want to go there to study Medicine. UCL is pretty much a back-up option.

Which other unis will you be applying to? I think that it's better to take both.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by z4ra.x
Hi all,

Why Imperial? It's so toxic ...
Reply 5
Original post by ManUtd_21
Which other unis will you be applying to? I think that it's better to take both.

1) Imperial
2) UCL
3) Oxford
4) Brighton & Sussex

I am only really passionate about Imperial.
Reply 6
Original post by z4ra.x
1) Imperial
2) UCL
3) Oxford
4) Brighton & Sussex

Ahh, I believe that these universities also only require the BMAT? Well if you'll only be applying to BMAT universities then you should only take the BMAT. But I know that many people prefer to do both and will apply to at least 1 UCAT university, just in case things don't go to plan with the BMAT, they'll have a backup.
Reply 7
Original post by z4ra.x
1) Imperial
2) UCL
3) Oxford
4) Brighton & Sussex

But if you only want to do the BMAT, then that's fine. I'm sure you have tutors at school who can advise you and probably give better advice than I can:smile:.
Reply 8
Original post by z4ra.x
Hi all,

My very strong advice would be to sit the UCAT. To do it early. To know what your score is, to consider applying strategically based on that UCAT score.

If you apply for all BMAT unis you will have to do that before you have sat the test. Anything could go awry.

You could then possibly have lost a whole year. Do UCAT and BMAT and spread your risk.

Also spend some time reading the recruitment policies as those do differ.

One of the things about medicine is that those that are successful are often those that apply strategically rather than just to the unis that they want to go to. A good uni for medicine is one that you can get in.

Not taking UCAT removes your ability to be strategic based on actual scores, and puts all your eggs in the BMAT basket. People do this every year though, so you wouldnt be alone. Its just a very high risk strategy in my opinion.
(edited 12 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending