The Student Room Group

Personal statement

My son is applying as an independent student and mentions having been depressed in his PS. His referee who is also his history teacher up to GCSE (he changed schools for sixth form, where he struggled with depression), thinks it's not a good idea to mention depression in his PS. We are not sure if we should scrap it, as the depression was mainly due to the fact that he shouldn't have changed course in his subject choice and is now much happier as he is back to doing his favourite subject independently.
Any thoughts?
Original post by Tinus3
My son is applying as an independent student and mentions having been depressed in his PS. His referee who is also his history teacher up to GCSE (he changed schools for sixth form, where he struggled with depression), thinks it's not a good idea to mention depression in his PS. We are not sure if we should scrap it, as the depression was mainly due to the fact that he shouldn't have changed course in his subject choice and is now much happier as he is back to doing his favourite subject independently.
Any thoughts?

I would only mention health matters if it directly relates to a candidates motivation or suitability. Otherwise there is a specific section in the reference for the referee to detail anything that may have impacted their studies.
Reply 2
It did insofar that he was really unhappy studying the subjects he'd chosen for A-level, and that the depression lifted.the moment he finished his A-levels and decided to take a year out to pursue his favourite subjects, which he should have done in the first place. It's to explain the weird route he took
Original post by Tinus3
It did insofar that he was really unhappy studying the subjects he'd chosen for A-level, and that the depression lifted.the moment he finished his A-levels and decided to take a year out to pursue his favourite subjects, which he should have done in the first place. It's to explain the weird route he took

Unis won't care tbh, students change subject/routes all the time. His space will be much better spent detailing his academic suitability.

(NB. I'm an admissions coordinator with many years experience in undergrad and postgrad admissions, I score personal statements every day so am about as qualified a answer as you will be able to find.)
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Unis won't care tbh, students change subject/routes all the time. His space will be much better spent detailing his academic suitability.

(NB. I'm an admissions coordinator with many years experience in undergrad and postgrad admissions, I score personal statements every day so am about as qualified a answer as you will be able to find.)

Thanks for that, I will tell him to take it out and replace it with more academic writing.
Original post by Tinus3
Any thoughts?

It sounds horrible but I wont mention it. You don't know who would read the PS
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending