The Student Room Group

Mature postgraduate student over 35 and got rejected by all this time.

So, i am 36. When i was 30, i had applied to some of the top 10 unis for an MSc, and got in all of them. But something went wrong and couldnt attend. I applied to all of them this year again, and got rejected by all. So, obviously the candidates this year might have been much better, however i cant stop thinking that age might be an issue. Maybe some think that since im over 35, and already have an MSc, they might want to give my position to a younger grad? Its ageism, but it happens at work as well.
Whats your experience?
Reply 1
Awful what you are experiencing. I hope you get through. Why not approach the University's that you are applying to directly and ask why.
Reply 2
Unlikely that age is an issue. I was 34 when I was at Oxford for a postgrad. There is much more competition at the moment largely because of the post-pandemic rush.
Reply 3
Original post by username6135888
So, i am 36. When i was 30, i had applied to some of the top 10 unis for an MSc, and got in all of them. But something went wrong and couldnt attend. I applied to all of them this year again, and got rejected by all. So, obviously the candidates this year might have been much better, however i cant stop thinking that age might be an issue. Maybe some think that since im over 35, and already have an MSc, they might want to give my position to a younger grad? Its ageism, but it happens at work as well.
Whats your experience?

They might be concerned about why I want to do a second MSc.
Also could be worried u will pull out again. Fair or not.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
I kind of think that for a MSc the last thing someone reviewing your application will focus on would be age. If someone does so, that person should not be assessing student applications.

A mature student would be a good asset for the course considering the experience they could bring to the programme, also will likely be able to afford the entire course without recurring to university funding. As a fact I did my MSc in engineering at 36.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending