The Student Room Group

Broca and Wernicke's work - Experiments or case studies?

Broca and Wernicke dissected deceased brains of their patients to investigate which regions of the brain were responsible for specific cognitive functions, such as speech and language comprehension. Would this count as an experimental method or a case study?
Reply 1
I'd assume it'd be an experiment or simply just referred to as an investigation since it isn't a study on those specific people, rather the brain itself. I'm not 100% sure though but I don't think the studies were on the people, I think it was just general neuropsychology research
Original post by MarinaKat
I'd assume it'd be an experiment or simply just referred to as an investigation since it isn't a study on those specific people, rather the brain itself. I'm not 100% sure though but I don't think the studies were on the people, I think it was just general neuropsychology research

Yes this is what's confusing me. I have to write an essay on the usefulness of the experimental method in cognitive psychology and I don't know whether to use Broca and Wernicke's work as evidence of an experiment, or as evidence of an alternative to an experiment.
Reply 3
Original post by psychologynerd23
Yes this is what's confusing me. I have to write an essay on the usefulness of the experimental method in cognitive psychology and I don't know whether to use Broca and Wernicke's work as evidence of an experiment, or as evidence of an alternative to an experiment.

Can you use anything else as an example? That might be tricky so if it's possible to use something else I'd recommend that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending