The Student Room Group

Msc Clinical Psychology in University of Exeter, Russell Group really matters?

I have been accepted for a master's degree in Clinical Psychology at the University of Exeter. However, I am not interested in the courses and is it reasonable to choose it only because it is a Russell Group University?

Is there an advantage of graduating from a Russell Group university when applying for a Ph.D. or DClinPsy?
Reply 1
Original post by rokathecat
I have been accepted for a master's degree in Clinical Psychology at the University of Exeter. However, I am not interested in the courses and is it reasonable to choose it only because it is a Russell Group University?

Is there an advantage of graduating from a Russell Group university when applying for a Ph.D. or DClinPsy?

No, there is no advantage in terms of the Dclinpsy/PhD. Never ever do something that does not interest you. You will perform best when you are happy and passionate, and this is the key metric for success in psychology.

Greg
No, work experience trumps where you study. And I promise you, you will not get anywhere within that career without it.
Original post by rokathecat

Hi,
First of all congratulations on the offer!

If this course is genuinely something you are not interested in I would strongly encourage you to look at other options, as although a Russell group University does look impressive it is not necessarily perceived as better than non Russell Group Universities.

I believe there are more important factors that should influence your decision when choosing which university to study at. Such as, how interested you are in the course, a course that you have little or no interest in will not provide you with the best experience and you are less likely to reach your full potential. Whereas if you study a course you have a genuine interest in you will engage more with the teaching and therefore are likely to achieve a higher grade.

Choosing your university is an extremely personal choice, so you have to decide what your priorities are. If the university's position as a Russell Group Uni is something that is important to you then maybe consider other courses or other Russell group universities. However, I would argue that employers are more interested in what degree and qualifications you have rather than which university you gained these from.

Hope this helps,
Faye

Quick Reply

Latest