The Student Room Group

Liverpool or CCCU

Kindly share your perspectives.

I have 2 offers for Psychology Conversion MSC online from Liverpool University and Canterbury Christ Church University.
Liverpool is a Russel Group, £4000 more expensive and 30months duration as against 24 months with CCCU. They are both accredited by BPS and confers graduate status
I would have loved a 12months duration, but none had that option, I am aiming for a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, my background is mental health nursing and I have worked in Camhs for over 6yrs offering psychological treatments to young people. I have compared the course structures and they are the same, both 180 credit but for Liverpool, dissertation is 60credit while CCCU dissertation is 40credit.
I am due to start in a months’ time but want to make sure I am getting the best value for my time and money. Please I would want to hear from you if you have done this course, through any of these university or any other university, or if you know someone who has.

Many thanks
(edited 8 months ago)
hey! firstly, congratulations on your offers! With both courses being so similar, and the DClinPsy also following similar routes it would be worth looking into the academics teaching on the course if possible. As both of us also offer the DClinPsy it may be that you stick with that one University throughout and having an academic in the team who you can work with throughout both on a topic you want to focus on can be hugely beneficial.

I had a similar dilemma during my Psychology BSc, a lot of universities did not have any academic staff in my preferred research area and I actually ended up coming to CCCU purely down to the fact that they had academics in the field and offered more 1-1 support time.

Whilst Liverpool is also a Russell group, with Psychology programmes needing to meet strict requirements for their BPS accreditation you can't really go wrong in the actual academic side of the course.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your very timely response. I had replied earlier but just realised I hadn't posted it. This is such a difficult decision for me, I live within the catchment area of CCCU and would have eventually gone there for DClinPsy anyway since I heard location is a major consideration in the application, it looks like my best bet is CCCU, wish it's not this complicated.
Original post by Jayden26
Thank you so much for your very timely response. I had replied earlier but just realised I hadn't posted it. This is such a difficult decision for me, I live within the catchment area of CCCU and would have eventually gone there for DClinPsy anyway since I heard location is a major consideration in the application, it looks like my best bet is CCCU, wish it's not this complicated.

It's a huge decision for sure, the up side of being close to CCCU then is if you do have any issues I'm sure the academic team would be happy for you to come to campus and you can access support easier. Also remember that it is taught by the Salomons Institute, which has been running for over 40 years now. You can check our their latest research papers here if you are interested at all :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Jayden26
Kindly share your perspectives.

I have 2 offers for Psychology Conversion MSC online from Liverpool University and Canterbury Christ Church University.
Liverpool is a Russel Group, £4000 more expensive and 30months duration as against 24 months with CCCU. They are both accredited by BPS and confers graduate status
I would have loved a 12months duration, but none had that option, I am aiming for a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, my background is mental health nursing and I have worked in Camhs for over 6yrs offering psychological treatments to young people. I have compared the course structures and they are the same, both 180 credit but for Liverpool, dissertation is 60credit while CCCU dissertation is 40credit.
I am due to start in a months’ time but want to make sure I am getting the best value for my time and money. Please I would want to hear from you if you have done this course, through any of these university or any other university, or if you know someone who has.

Many thanks

Congratulations on your offers! 🎉

I originally was going to do the course at Liverpool, but it's 30 month duration threw me off massively and it was very expensive, so I sadly withdrew my place but I was elated that I got into Liverpool because I was keen to go to a Russell Group uni.

But I'm starting to understand that when it comes to a conversion course in Psychology, it doesn't matter where you do it, but it's more about if the course is accredited by BPS to confer you graduate status. So I wouldn't get too hung about going to a RG uni. I would carefully consider the cost and if you would enjoy the course.

And there actually are courses that have a 12-month duration! Brunel, Kent, Roehampton, Manchester Metropolitan University and Leeds Beckett all do a 12 month course!

I'm currently trying to decide between Kent and Roehampton!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
thanks a lot Nishadea for kindly sharing your thoughts on this and it appears you understand the dilemma I was going through. I agree with you that almost 3yrs for a conversion course for a career progression in psychology seems like a really long time.

Quick Reply

Latest