The Student Room Group

Mental health

I don't want to go into the details but I have regular moments that I guess are symptoms of depression and it's gotten to the point where I need to talk to a friend.

I'm friends with this person that I trust. We aren't close but he's understanding and friendly.
I know he'd be open to listen but I don't want to burden him with anything.
I've got my last day of year 11 tomorrow. Exams start in less than 4 days and I really don't want to bother this guy with something unnecessary especially on the last day. I don't want that to be his memory of me.
Do I keep my thoughts to myself for the summer and see how things turn out?
Or do I reach out to this guy?

Appreciate any responses ASAP.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I don't want to go into the details but I have regular moments that I guess are symptoms of depression and it's gotten to the point where I need to talk to a friend.

I'm friends with this person that I trust. We aren't close but he's understanding and friendly.
I've got my last day of year 11 tomorrow. Exams start in less than 4 days and I really don't want to bother this guy with something unnecessary especially on the last day. I don't want that to be his memory of me.

I'm sorry you're going through this. From personal experience, I spoke to my friend about my mental health issues and it ruined the friendship between us. She felt I was burdening her with my issues. Your friend is not a therapist. If you need to talk to someone, try talking to a school counsellor, therapist, or even childline! I've used the childline counsellor service before and they're actually quite nice and helpful. Don't keep your feelings to yourself, reach out to someone. All I'm saying is that from personal experience, your friend might not be the best person to reach out to, especially with GCSEs on the horizon.
Reply 2
I would consider seeing your GP

You can get support and there is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Crises, 741741, text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927

-No Panic, 0800 138 8889

-relate, they have a chat advisor

There is the mind forum

Also Facebook groups

You can join support groups

You can contact a crises team if things get very bad

Plenty of resources online, information regarding well being
Reply 3

Do you have anyone you trust and are close to? maybe even a sibling, parent, or any other friends?
I think that would be a better route. I have had people in my life that ive trusted but after opening up to them ive regretted it because I feel like I have given something so personal to me away to someone who doesnt really know me.. especially when they dont react great to it.

Hope you feel better soon x
Reply 4
Original post by loralai
Do you have anyone you trust and are close to? maybe even a sibling, parent, or any other friends?
I think that would be a better route. I have had people in my life that ive trusted but after opening up to them ive regretted it because I feel like I have given something so personal to me away to someone who doesnt really know me.. especially when they dont react great to it.

Hope you feel better soon x

The only person I trust is this guy I mentioned earlier.
I don't know what it is about him but he's different from anyone I've ever met. His sympathy is comforting but that means the thought of telling him what's in my head makes it feel like I'd be burdening him.
I know he'd be open to listen and would say the right things but do I risk him potentially thinking I'm attention seeking or faking it?
Reply 5
Alchemy Wellness provides the critical care for sickest patients to improve their quality of life. You can get therapy programs under the supervision of a team of critical care physicians. So get in touch with Alchemy Health and Wellness to get proper healthcare treatment.
Reply 6
The only person I trust is this guy I mentioned earlier.
I don't know what it is about him but he's different from anyone I've ever met. His sympathy is comforting but that means the thought of telling him what's in my head makes it feel like I'd be burdening him.
I know he'd be open to listen and would say the right things but do I risk him potentially thinking I'm attention seeking or faking it?

i dont know, if youre worried about him thinking ur faking it then clearly you dont trust him enough.
i think there are better ways of dealing with depressive thoughts than opening up to someone who can potentially shut you down, which could ultimately make you feel far worse.

Quick Reply

Latest