The Student Room Group

Speculation in GCSE English

should I or should I not speculate in gcse english literature for example if something is inferred but not actually factual could I include it or my own interpretation of a point? since my teacher often marks me down for speculating but is it best not to do this because otherwise I find it difficult to include multiple interpretations. thank you
Reply 1
Original post by tsu555
should I or should I not speculate in gcse english literature for example if something is inferred but not actually factual could I include it or my own interpretation of a point? since my teacher often marks me down for speculating but is it best not to do this because otherwise I find it difficult to include multiple interpretations. thank you

you can most definitely speculate in English Lit (they actually encourage it at A-level!), but make sure to use tentative language. Eg: In the phrase “black raven” it could be inferred that Juliet recognises the bad reputation Romeo could bring to her, with the adjective “black” often associated with a mourning, perhaps foreshadowing their later tragic deaths. In doing this, perhaps Shakespeare creates a new level to their otherwise child-like relationship—the idea of rebellion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending