The Student Room Group

Am I allowed to write on the front page of an A-level exam?

For my mocks, I have always written down the start time of my exam and the time when half and quarters of the allotted time has been used. For example,

msedge_al8MQtbm42.png

I just wanted to know if this would be allowed in the actual A-Level exams as we are not even allowed to even wear a simple watch to the exams nowadays.
(edited 11 months ago)
Would it not be possible to request for your exam invigilators to provide you with a piece of paper at the beginning of your exam and leave it on your assigned desk as opposed to this?
I know in the past, back when I was doing my A Levels, they said you can request additional sheets of paper if needed, so I don't see why you can't ask for it before the exam begins and simply ask them not to collect your paper as it was for scrap notes?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by CoolGuyPawan
For my mocks, I have always written down the start time of my exam and the time when half and quarters of the allotted time has been used. For example,

msedge_al8MQtbm42.png

I just wanted to know if this would be allowed in the actual A-Level exams as we are not even allowed to even wear a simple watch to the exams nowadays.

It depends on what it says on the front of the paper as well as what the invigilators say. Normally, I wouldn't see it being an issue.

Personally, how I keep track of time is to mark each page of the paper according to the time allocated for certain section e.g. for a 10 question paper in a 2 hour exam, I would have marked the 30 minute mark on the 3rd question, 1 hour on the 5th, 90 minute on the 8th, and the 1 hour and 50 minute-ish on the 10th. Markings could include folding the corner of the paper or scribing on the top of the margins (so long it doesn't say you can't scribble in the margins, and I have only seen EdExcel made such requirements in their exam papers).

As far as I know, AQA never had a problem with people scribbling anywhere on the front of the paper (as tacky as it may come across). I would stick to the method above if on the day it specifies that you are not allowed to for whatever the odd reason may be.

Quick Reply

Latest