The Student Room Group

Teachers refuse to give predicted grades to reapply to universities

I'm taking a gap year to independently study and retake 2 A-levels (biology and chemistry) after achieving grades I was unhappy with, and I've also decided to apply for a different course at university than I originally did in year 13, which was law, and now I want to study chemical engineering. I've asked my teachers from my old high school if they could give me predicted grades for bio and chem, and they said that they're unable to because I'm not a current student. I'm not sure what to do or who to ask for my predicted grades now- is there anyone at UCAS I can contact directly? Any advice would be helpful.
Predicted grades are optional. Most resit applicants don’t have them.

You don’t need predicted grades.

You DO need an academic reference. Have you asked your old school if they’ll provide a reference?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Predicted grades are optional. Most resit applicants don’t have them.

You don’t need predicted grades.

You DO need an academic reference. Have you asked your old school if they’ll provide a reference?

They said they'll provide the reference, just not the predicted grades because I don't study there anymore. I didn't know predicted grades were optional- so it won't disadvantage me if I don't have predicted grades and other applicants do?
Original post by mxyz1010
They said they'll provide the reference, just not the predicted grades because I don't study there anymore. I didn't know predicted grades were optional- so it won't disadvantage me if I don't have predicted grades and other applicants do?

You should check with the universities that you’re applying to directly but generally it won’t be a problem.

If you’re resitting then universities will assume that you plan to improve your results by at least one grade. If you’re aiming for more than that ask your school if they would be willing to mention your target grades within their reference. Something like “mxyz1010 is resitting x and y independently this year and so we are unable to provide predicted grades. Mxyz1010 has told us that they are aiming to get grades R and S.”

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending