The Student Room Group

Uni entry requirements

How likely are you to get into a uni when your predicted grades are slightly below the entry requirements? What happens if you recieve greater grades than you are predicted? And do certain circumstances affect this? I'm just worried I won't get into any unis lol.
Original post by cristalat101
How likely are you to get into a uni when your predicted grades are slightly below the entry requirements? What happens if you recieve greater grades than you are predicted? And do certain circumstances affect this? I'm just worried I won't get into any unis lol.

It depends on the universities and the course
Many will ignore predicted grades completely when making offers (it's no problem for them to make a BBB offer to someone predicted EEE - if the applicant doesn't get BBB then they don't have to accept them), others will weight predicted grades heavily when making decisions, most will have some leeway unless the course is heavily over subscribed or the entry requirements are extremely strict.

Hello!
Lancaster makes sure to look at the whole application including personal statement, not just your predicted grades. They will also make an offer if your predicted grades are just below the entry grades. They are unlikely to make you an offer higher than your grades, they often make the offer of the entry grades or slightly lower if they particularly like your application or if you did an extra qualification such as an EPQ. Similarly, on results day they look at each applicant individually and decide if they meet the requirements.

Hope this helps,
Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

It will depend on the university. Very competitive universities and courses you will be rejected. Less competitive universities you will get the standard offer. On results days some universities accept students with slightly dropped grades. If neither your firm or insurance are able to accept you then you will be placed in clearing.

As far as to whether you achieve greater than predicted grades. In this case you can look around see which universities will have spaces in clearing, decline any offers you holding and apply there. Be aware 75% of students dont achieve their predicted grades so very few will exceed them.

It is because of the above that we recommend applying to a range of offers. Apploying to 5 high risk universities or courses can lead to having no offers. Oxford, Cambridge and top Lomndon universities are very competitive and hugely oversubscribed which is why we advise not to put all your eggs in 1 basket. 1 or maybe 2 aspirational choices, 2 or 3 at your grades and 1 or 2 safe choices below your predictions is generally the recommendation. Apply to aspirational universities runs the risk of rejections. It is a similar case for highly competitive courses like Medicine and Dentistry.
Reply 4
So say for example I was predicted a CCC but wanted to go to a uni with BCC requirements, do I have a chance of getting in?
So say for example I was predicted a CCC but wanted to go to a uni with BCC requirements, do I have a chance of getting in?

Yes a very good chance but it isnt guaranteed. Most universities dont fill their courses other than the very top ones and would make reach offers to students who are predicted 1 or 2 grades below. In practice on results day most accept students 1 or 2 grades below the entry requirement.

I read a few years ago that 40% of students got accepted by universities 2 or more grades below their offers.
Reply 6

Update: I got in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending