The Student Room Group

Part-Time Jobs/Employment/Job Application Improvement

How can I increase my chances of getting a part-time job as an undergraduate student ? How exactly can I improve my CV/Resume/Cover Letter ?
Original post by EternalWisdom13
How can I increase my chances of getting a part-time job as an undergraduate student ? How exactly can I improve my CV/Resume/Cover Letter ?

Hi @EternalWisdom13

As a student at university, you will have access to career advice. I booked 2-3 meetings with a careers advisor to review my CV, learn how to effectively search for a job and write a good cover letter. It was really helpful to have an expert helping me with everything. I still use the same CV template 3 years later. So I would definitely recommend booking to see them if it is possible for you.

My next tip would be to make a LinkedIn profile. It is a great way to browse jobs and build your 'online CV'. If you do not have an account already, then I would make one and start playing around with it.

Finally, be open to volunteering roles. Although you won't be earning an income, volunteering is a great way to improve your CV and get industry-related skills. I currently volunteer for West Midlands Police and a charity. Doing these roles has made me much more employable, so it has been worth it.

I wish you all the best with job hunting!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @EternalWisdom13

As a student at university, you will have access to career advice. I booked 2-3 meetings with a careers advisor to review my CV, learn how to effectively search for a job and write a good cover letter. It was really helpful to have an expert helping me with everything. I still use the same CV template 3 years later. So I would definitely recommend booking to see them if it is possible for you.

My next tip would be to make a LinkedIn profile. It is a great way to browse jobs and build your 'online CV'. If you do not have an account already, then I would make one and start playing around with it.

Finally, be open to volunteering roles. Although you won't be earning an income, volunteering is a great way to improve your CV and get industry-related skills. I currently volunteer for West Midlands Police and a charity. Doing these roles has made me much more employable, so it has been worth it.

I wish you all the best with job hunting!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Thank you for your heartfelt response. I have already made and started out with my Linkedin profile. Without having any type of industrial scale or 9-5 job experience I have atleast included volunteering which I happen to have experiences in.
Original post by EternalWisdom13
Thank you for your heartfelt response. I have already made and started out with my Linkedin profile. Without having any type of industrial scale or 9-5 job experience I have atleast included volunteering which I happen to have experiences in.

Hi @EternalWisdom13

That is great to hear.

It looks like you are putting in the work, so I am confident something great will come your way soon. I would say January is usually quiet regarding job vacancies, but don't be discouraged.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I work part-time for my university as a student ambassador; if this is something your university offers, then it could be worth exploring that option, too!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending