The Student Room Group

Trainee Patent Attorney/internship interviews

Hello..can anyone offer advice on interview questions for internships or trainee positions at IP firms?
Reply 1
Original post by mogwai79
Hello..can anyone offer advice on interview questions for internships or trainee positions at IP firms?

Hiya,

If you look through my post history you should find lots of advice from my interview experience, but let me know if there's any specific questions you'd like me to answer!
Reply 2
Original post by oMatt
Hiya,

If you look through my post history you should find lots of advice from my interview experience, but let me know if there's any specific questions you'd like me to answer!

Hi,

Ive seen you give a lot of advice about becoming a trainee patent attorney. i was wondering could you give some cv tips that got you an offer. ive been struggling with my applications and i want to know what do they look for? obviously i dont have experience so what should i put on my cv? i have a Biomed degree.

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Temishi
Hi,

Ive seen you give a lot of advice about becoming a trainee patent attorney. i was wondering could you give some cv tips that got you an offer. ive been struggling with my applications and i want to know what do they look for? obviously i dont have experience so what should i put on my cv? i have a Biomed degree.

Thanks

There's not that much on your CV that can really be changed so the main way to stand out (outside of your grades) would be through your cover letter. As very few applicants will have patent work experience (only those who did summer schemes), it's usually a case of converting your experiences (jobs and/or projects) into positive patent-lawyer attributes.

For me that was things like tailored communication, wide range of technical knowledge, and attention to detail.

Obviously the quality of writing in your cover letter itself would also be a factor.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by oMatt
There's not that much on your CV that can really be changed so the main way to stand out (outside of your grades) would be through your cover letter. As very few applicants will have patent work experience (only those who did summer schemes), it's usually a case of converting your experiences (jobs and/or projects) into positive patent-lawyer attributes.

For me that was things like tailored communication, wide range of technical knowledge, and attention to detail.

Obviously the quality of writing in your cover letter itself would also be a factor.

Thanks for the the amazing advice, ill definitely apply it. Is there anyway i could see the Cv you applied with. i know its a lot to ask for. im currently applying to an internship and open day but i dont know where to start. Im apprehensive about my CV because ive had rejection prior.
Reply 5
Original post by Temishi
Thanks for the the amazing advice, ill definitely apply it. Is there anyway i could see the Cv you applied with. i know its a lot to ask for. im currently applying to an internship and open day but i dont know where to start. Im apprehensive about my CV because ive had rejection prior.

https://ibb.co/KGspNPc

Here's what my CV looked like when applying :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by oMatt
https://ibb.co/KGspNPc

Here's what my CV looked like when applying :smile:

Thankss!!! I appreciate it so much. Youve been such a big help. Hopefully ill be back telling you that ive got a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending