The Student Room Group

How my Undergrad College absolutely ruined me in every sense possible

This might be a long post but it definitely is necessary.

So I am from Mumbai and 21 years old currently.
I passed out of high school with pretty good scores and got into a (supposedly) great university in the year of 2020 during June.
That year was also when the pandemic broke out so all educational facilities became online.
Out of my high school subjects I had a knack for accountancy,so after a discussion with my father it was decided I would pursue accountancy as an Undergrad.
So I got into this private university and my course began from June 2020,and every single thing was online.I didn't even see the inside of the actual college till about the September of 2020.
Since it was online for nearly 2 academic years the teaching methods were not exactly easy to get accustomed to.But by the beginning of 2022 everything transitioned to offline.Personally I had lost my interest by the middle of the second year,but was reccommended to push forth since "only 1 year" was left.I tried that but my failed all of my second year finals in the month of March 2022[Results came out in mid May 2022].I had to apparently give the exams again in the month of June 2022.I prepared and gave those but even then about 2 papers were still remaining.

After that my final year started in the same month and I thought let me focus on this year.But the curriculum proved to be too tough.I don't pretend to be a genius and always suffered from low self-esteem,not to mention throughout my entire childhood I had been diagnosed with high level of epilepsy.This epilepsy,even though more or less "cured" till I became 16,still had everlasting effects on my day to day life in minor ways.

I moved ahead with the year and despite my struggling attempts at trying to even comprehend by studies and basically begging my subject teachers to explain certain topics to me,they outright refused to do so.Basically saying if I don't understand in class they aren't going to repeat it again.I even pleaded them if it's possible to give me some time before/after college started for the day just to clear some concepts,but they still refused.

But even though I tried my best they kept failing me in each and every paper and at the same time refused to help me out.Also they didn't have any books to refer to and study from because they are an autonomous university and they make up their own curriculum and teaching patterns.

This continued for 70% of the academic year,until I finally found an external tuition teacher who managed to help me pass my upcoming exams January onwards.Now by January I already had like 7 pending papers from last year and this year combined,so I was overjoyed that I managed to clear the tests in the month of January and February.March was my Finals,and I didn't slack off one bit and even went for classes twice a day along with my college going on.During the months february and march,the college made me re submit a project like 6 times because it wasn't exactly acccording to their specifications.Mind you all this fuss was with the fact that I was also preparing for the multiple upcoming exams.I was under a lot of mental pressure during those months.
My exams were broken into 2 parts,first was my 3rd year finals and the rest were my pending papers from 2nd finals and 3rd year term papers.

Before my 3rd year Finals started I went up to the exam centre in the college every single day to ask when were the dates of my pending papers exams,and they always told me it hasn't been decided yet.So obviously I wasn't supposed to attend college during my finals preparation because we had to study,and I was busy enough with my external tuitions/classes as it is.At this point all I knew were the dates for the 3rd year finals.
I decided to completely devote my attention to clearing/passing those papers.On the last exam day of my 3rd year finals I went up to the exam centre to again inquire about the dates of my pending exams and they said it has already happened 1 week ago.

Honestly at this point I was extremely frustrated and understandably so.

So after that the college ended and all I could do was wait for the results,which came mid May 2023.And I was devastated to find out they failed me in each and every paper.My patience with such an instituition reached at a boiling point.
They announced there was going to be an open house to check the papers a few days later.
I patiently waited and on the day I saw the papers I checked them and it was blatantly clear it was a hate fail.
Not only did the person whoc checked my papers did not even bother to mark what went wrong,they simply wrote the final score on the first page of the papers.When I aked the invigilator to let me meet the subject teachers he said they aren't available and if I had any queries I should submit the paper for "revaluation",which mind you they charge around 500 rupees($6 USD) for each paper.This doesn't even guarantee anything by the way.

I thought let me have a word with the co-ordinator/director{Both of whom I had previously talked to in great detail about my situation}.But unfortunately they both were on a "summer leave" and would only return after a month.

So now all I have at this point is 3 wasted years,mental abuse,any efforts I put in have been made null.
Oh and also on a completely unrelated note my parents after 23 years of marriage are getting a divorce...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending