The Student Room Group

Should I do an EPQ if I want to do architecture??

At first, I thought I would do a portfolio (since I don’t do art) for my EPQ but I realised the research, write up and the entire process would be really time consuming. I do DT as an a-level so my NEA itself will be time consuming. The thing is I don’t know if I will have enough to mention for my personal statement without an EPQ so I’m not sure if I should drop it. Currently, i don’t feel motivated in doing the EPQ at all since the research isn’t really linked to architecture but art in general, I didn’t want to do my EPQ portfolio on architecture because unis typically want to see art outside of buildings etc.
Most unis only consider an A in EPQ for a grade to be lowered (for architecture) so I’m not sure if I should dedicate my time in doing the EPQ or my actual alevel grades.

Any advice or guidance will be appreciated :smile:
Original post by Becky….
At first, I thought I would do a portfolio (since I don’t do art) for my EPQ but I realised the research, write up and the entire process would be really time consuming. I do DT as an a-level so my NEA itself will be time consuming. The thing is I don’t know if I will have enough to mention for my personal statement without an EPQ so I’m not sure if I should drop it. Currently, i don’t feel motivated in doing the EPQ at all since the research isn’t really linked to architecture but art in general, I didn’t want to do my EPQ portfolio on architecture because unis typically want to see art outside of buildings etc.
Most unis only consider an A in EPQ for a grade to be lowered (for architecture) so I’m not sure if I should dedicate my time in doing the EPQ or my actual alevel grades.

Any advice or guidance will be appreciated :smile:

Forget the EPQ and focus on your A levels (most architecture courses require high grades), and in your free time work on pieces for your portfolio.

For you personal statement, you need to show your interest in the course through wider reading, etc. Have a look at the advice for creative subjects on the following page:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/hive-articles/writing-a-personal-statement-for-art-and-design-courses

Cambridge uni has a list of recommended books for architecture:

https://www.arct.cam.ac.uk/Downloads/books-recommended-for-reading
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending