The Student Room Group

Why should I finish my EPQ if my applied universities don’t consider it?

I’ve submitted my UCAS application with my predicted EPQ grade of A*. But I was wondering why I should formally complete my EPQ if the universities I’ve applied to do not consider it, nor will they base an offer off of it. I understand that it looks good to have done an EPQ but my EPQ is mentioned in my personal statement already and my predicted EPQ grade is on my UCAS form. Why should I finish it?
Think of it as a taste of commitment, I too have an EPQ to finish but I'm just thinking if cant even be bothered to finish my epq how will I bother with the **** in uni, finish it, keep ur work ethic up
Because if you miss your offer conditions it could make the difference between getting accepted as a ‘near miss’ or not.
Reply 3
Original post by HaseebAhmad
Think of it as a taste of commitment, I too have an EPQ to finish but I'm just thinking if cant even be bothered to finish my epq how will I bother with the **** in uni, finish it, keep ur work ethic up

fair point but i have a lot else on and the deadline is soon. I’ve done everything I’ve needed for my predicted and I just don’t see a point in finishing when I should instead be revising for my mocks.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Because if you miss your offer conditions it could make the difference between getting accepted as a ‘near miss’ or not.

I understand that but if I did miss my offer conditions, and be considered as a ‘near miss’ candidate, surely the universities will still only see my predicted EPQ grade rather than my actual one?
Reply 5
Original post by aarank
I understand that but if I did miss my offer conditions, and be considered as a ‘near miss’ candidate, surely the universities will still only see my predicted EPQ grade rather than my actual one?

by then, it won't be a predicted grade, will it?

they get all the grades for qualifications you've sat, at the same time
If you formally drop out and aren’t awarded a grade then you make your ucas application technically fraudulent. Your offers were made on the basis that the information you provided was true so if you change your qualifications then universities have the right to change or withdraw their offers.

If you just half arse your EPQ and get a low or failing grade then that isn’t the case.

If you want to drop any qualification that you listed on ucas then you need to get confirmation in writing from all of your universities that doing so won’t affect your offers.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
If you formally drop out and aren’t awarded a grade then you make your ucas application technically fraudulent. Your offers were made on the basis that the information you provided was true so if you change your qualifications then universities have the right to change or withdraw their offers.

If you just half arse your EPQ and get a low or failing grade then that isn’t the case.

If you want to drop any qualification that you listed on ucas then you need to get confirmation in writing from all of your universities that doing so won’t affect your offers.

i didn’t list it as a qualification - it was only talked about in my personal statement and in my teachers’ reference.
Original post by aarank
i didn’t list it as a qualification - it was only talked about in my personal statement and in my teachers’ reference.

Then you need to verify precisely what was said in your reference and reread your PS to see if it is stating that you will have an EPQ.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ

Then you need to verify precisely what was said in your reference and reread your PS to see if it is stating that you will have an EPQ.

I just said I pursued an EPQ - that was my exact wording. And my reference should only state my predicted grade I believe. That should be fine right?
Original post by aarank
I just said I pursued an EPQ - that was my exact wording. And my reference should only state my predicted grade I believe. That should be fine right?

If they stated a predicted grade and you said you are pursuing an EPQ the you should get written confirmation from your universities before you drop the qualification
If you think it’ll lessen the chances of meeting your offer then it makes sense to drop it. But as above, you need to notify your choices if it was mentioned anywhere on your app.
Original post by aarank
I’ve submitted my UCAS application with my predicted EPQ grade of A*. But I was wondering why I should formally complete my EPQ if the universities I’ve applied to do not consider it, nor will they base an offer off of it. I understand that it looks good to have done an EPQ but my EPQ is mentioned in my personal statement already and my predicted EPQ grade is on my UCAS form. Why should I finish it?

I guess it depends how far off you are. I’ve still got to spend a bit of time tidying up my log but I’ve done the actual project (made an maths visualisation presented in a games engine to make it interactive/ user friendly), written it up and presented to class so I guess it’s worth finishing up.
Reply 13
Original post by Admit-One
If you think it’ll lessen the chances of meeting your offer then it makes sense to drop it. But as above, you need to notify your choices if it was mentioned anywhere on your app.

I understand your point but it isn’t in my qualifications section of my UCAS application. It’s only within my teacher’s reference (as a predicted grade) and in my personal statement (which only states that I have pursued it, not that I’ve finished or will necessarily finish it). Would I still have to inform my offers/potential universities?
If you get entered for it uni would know. I wonder if you weren’t fussed to do it if it isn’t in your qualifications section ? It’s worth ucas points. I think it depends how far from completion you are. If your offer doesn’t rely on it maybe it would take time and risk a grade on a levels. Good luck
Original post by aarank
I understand your point but it isn’t in my qualifications section of my UCAS application. It’s only within my teacher’s reference (as a predicted grade) and in my personal statement (which only states that I have pursued it, not that I’ve finished or will necessarily finish it). Would I still have to inform my offers/potential universities?

Yes.

Both myself and PQ work in uni admissions. Your choices won’t in all likelihood care, but it’s better to cross the t’s and dot the i’s for the sake of sending some emails.
As above.

Sort it out now and be guaranteed it’s fine. Don’t risk losing your place in august on a technicality. There’s a handful of applicants every year who end up the wrong side of a rejection because they didn’t get changes agreed in writing. It’s incredibly silly to risk being one of them for a sake of some emails/phone calls
Original post by PQ

But you said you had a predicted grade. So you don’t quite make sense. Either you have a prediction you will complete your epq and get a* or you haven’t said you are doing it and there is no prediction
Original post by snoopadoop
But you said you had a predicted grade. So you don’t quite make sense. Either you have a prediction you will complete your epq and get a* or you haven’t said you are doing it and there is no prediction

There's a prediction within the reference. But the EPQ isn't listed in the qualifications, which is where predictions would normally be posted.

Quick Reply

Latest