The Student Room Group

Octavian and Mark Antony

Why did Octavian form a second triumvirate with Mark Anonty and Lepidus, when he won the battle of Mutina against Antony? like why are they becoming enemies to "friends". I know that it was to have greater control of Rome and team up against the senators but I feel like I missing something as to why Octavian went from defeating Antony in a battle to forming an alliance with him.
Reply 1
Original post by justhereiguess
Why did Octavian form a second triumvirate with Mark Anonty and Lepidus, when he won the battle of Mutina against Antony? like why are they becoming enemies to "friends". I know that it was to have greater control of Rome and team up against the senators but I feel like I missing something as to why Octavian went from defeating Antony in a battle to forming an alliance with him.

Octavian didn’t have enough power to take full control of Rome, and if he didn’t ally himself with Antony, Antony would probably rebel when Octavian was only newly in charge and wouldn’t have the power to stop him. Antony was also quite popular with the people from what I understood, so perhaps they were aiming for a little bit of peace before the wars would begin (and as it was already a very chaotic time)

Quick Reply

Latest