The Student Room Group

Student finance for Graduate dentistry

I am an English student who had a tuition and maintenance loan for a 3 year undergrad degree from 2019-2022. I am planning to apply for the 4 year graduate entry dentistry program (held at university of Aberdeen or kings college London for example) September 2024.

What student finance is open to me. Am I able to receive finance for tuition fees or maintenance loans?

I also wondered as I know there have been a few changes to how loans are paid back since I graduated (mostly having to pay it back for 40 rather than 30 years). How will this work with my current loan if I take out more loans. Will my current loan stay as it is and then any loans for 2024 and beyond have the changes to repayment years and threshold?

Thanks
Original post by JordyJRT
I am an English student who had a tuition and maintenance loan for a 3 year undergrad degree from 2019-2022. I am planning to apply for the 4 year graduate entry dentistry program (held at university of Aberdeen or kings college London for example) September 2024.

What student finance is open to me. Am I able to receive finance for tuition fees or maintenance loans?

I also wondered as I know there have been a few changes to how loans are paid back since I graduated (mostly having to pay it back for 40 rather than 30 years). How will this work with my current loan if I take out more loans. Will my current loan stay as it is and then any loans for 2024 and beyond have the changes to repayment years and threshold?

Thanks

Hi Jordy,

Graduate entry dentistry courses would be funded as below:

Tuition Fees

Year 1 The student will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.

Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

If they want a tuition fee loan they need to confirm the amount they want to borrow on the Loan Request Form.

Maintenance Funding
Year 1 The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant.

Years 2-4 The student can apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to SFE for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Thank you for your response Claire, very helpful.

Thanks
Original post by JordyJRT
Thank you for your response Claire, very helpful.

Thanks

Hi Jordy,

I have enclosed a breakdown regarding the plans for repayment: https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/which-repayment-plan-you-are-on

Any further questions relating to repayments you can discuss with them directly at: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/contact-slc-repayment-enquiries

Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending