The Student Room Group

Brighton nursing degree timetable

I’m considering studying adult nursing degree at Brighton university. I have a two year old and need to make sure that the timetable can work for my family. Does anyone have a previous one or one from this year, or an example of what it can be like? I know it can really vary depending on placements but the average week when in uni learning. Thanks so much
Original post by AmiGiles
I’m considering studying adult nursing degree at Brighton university. I have a two year old and need to make sure that the timetable can work for my family. Does anyone have a previous one or one from this year, or an example of what it can be like? I know it can really vary depending on placements but the average week when in uni learning. Thanks so much
Hi! :grin:

The nursing course is one of the most intensive courses that Brighton University offers, so it's important you have the support in place to meet the timetable requirements. The course requires students to make a full-time commitment - Monday to Friday 9-5 or 8-4pm on campus teaching/placement for 45 weeks each year with 7 weeks holiday.

This course will last for three years and is made up of 50% practical unpaid placement and 50% teaching seminars, plus other on-campus activities.

In most years the first placement block will happen in the first term in November for 5 weeks. Within the placement element of the course the expectation is that you would be working between 32 to 35 hours per week and it would be on a rotor basis, shadowing a current NHS employee on the same shift patterns. On the Nursing course page there is further information relating to the placement areas which include Surrey, Sussex and Kent. The placement team will always aim to accommodate a student’s travel requirements, however, there are a maximum number of placement opportunities in Brighton hospitals and students will be expected travel to other geographical areas. It is currently possible to claim back excess travel costs, this is reviewed each year by the NHS.

For more information on the timetable and to ask any questions about the course or studying at Brighton please feel free to contact Brighton University current nursing student Alexis.

I hope this is helpful!

All the best with your studies.

Danielle - Brighton Uni Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Brighton Enquiries
Hi! :grin:
The nursing course is one of the most intensive courses that Brighton University offers, so it's important you have the support in place to meet the timetable requirements. The course requires students to make a full-time commitment - Monday to Friday 9-5 or 8-4pm on campus teaching/placement for 45 weeks each year with 7 weeks holiday.
This course will last for three years and is made up of 50% practical unpaid placement and 50% teaching seminars, plus other on-campus activities.
In most years the first placement block will happen in the first term in November for 5 weeks. Within the placement element of the course the expectation is that you would be working between 32 to 35 hours per week and it would be on a rotor basis, shadowing a current NHS employee on the same shift patterns. On the Nursing course page there is further information relating to the placement areas which include Surrey, Sussex and Kent. The placement team will always aim to accommodate a student’s travel requirements, however, there are a maximum number of placement opportunities in Brighton hospitals and students will be expected travel to other geographical areas. It is currently possible to claim back excess travel costs, this is reviewed each year by the NHS.
For more information on the timetable and to ask any questions about the course or studying at Brighton please feel free to contact Brighton University current nursing student Alexis.
I hope this is helpful!
All the best with your studies.
Thanks Danielle, that’s really helpful
Original post by Christinaaa
sorry to jump on! Do you know how many days roughly you have to attend university during theory weeks? I know some unis are 2/3 but haven't seen anything about Brighton 😊
Hi @Christinaaa

No worries at all! :grin:

I have asked our current student and she has confirmed it's usually 3-4 days a week, but they aren't full days. There are a couple of long days and a half day, but some weeks they might only be in for a couple of half days. Generally they do their teaching in blocks of 8 weeks with a possible reading week in there somewhere.

I hope this is helpful!

Original post by AmiGiles
Thanks Danielle, that’s really helpful
Not a problem at all! :h:

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Original post by University of Brighton Enquiries
Hi @Christinaaa
No worries at all! :grin:
I have asked our current student and she has confirmed it's usually 3-4 days a week, but they aren't full days. There are a couple of long days and a half day, but some weeks they might only be in for a couple of half days. Generally they do their teaching in blocks of 8 weeks with a possible reading week in there somewhere.
I hope this is helpful!
Thank you so much! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending