The Student Room Group

Applying for degree apprenticeship

Hi,
I am currently in year 12 and will start year 13 in September. I just was wondering when is the time to start applying for degree apprenticeships (is it now or is it when I start year 13 in September onwards) so that i can start it after i finish year 13?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
all year round
It depends on when the apprenticeship opening arises. Each firm sets their own start date for application, so it can be in July of this year or March of next year. It's your job to find out about degree apprenticeships, and keep tabs on them every now and then to find out if the application is open. Some firms helpfully allow you to get email notifications when they have a vacancy, but this is not the case for many firms, so you'll have to be proactive. That being said, when I applied last year, most degree apprenticeships opened at some point during autumn. There will definitely be a few during September, but a lot will have a deadline of December or early next year, so there's no reason why you'd miss an application unless you haven't been searching hard enough. Some close early simply due to how many people apply. For example, JP Morgan closed in very early November I believe, so you need to watch out for those cases. Good luck with applying for degree apprenticeship, and be prepared to get no offers since most have lower acceptance rates than Oxbridge - what field are you applying to?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by toxicgamage56
It depends on when the apprenticeship opening arises. Each firm sets their own start date for application, so it can be in July of this year or March of next year. It's your job to find out about degree apprenticeships, and keep tabs on them every now and then to find out if the application is open. Some firms helpfully allow you to get email notifications when they have a vacancy, but this is not the case for many firms, so you'll have to be proactive. That being said, when I applied last year, most degree apprenticeships opened at some point during autumn. There will definitely be a few during September, but a lot will have a deadline of December or early next year, so there's no reason why you'd miss an application unless you haven't been searching hard enough. Some close early simply due to how many people apply. For example, JP Morgan closed in very early November I believe, so you need to watch out for those cases. Good luck with applying for degree apprenticeship, and be prepared to get no offers since most have lower acceptance rates than Oxbridge - what field are you applying to?

Thank you for the reply. I wanted to do something science based (bio/ chem)- looked at the Astra Zeneca ones and they had closed already, and other ones I looked at said you had to be 18 years old to apply. So I was confused whether I should apply for the degree apprenticeships in the next application windows (autumn time)- once I'm in year 13 (18 years old) or when I have finished my a levels.
Original post by JJES
Thank you for the reply. I wanted to do something science based (bio/ chem)- looked at the Astra Zeneca ones and they had closed already, and other ones I looked at said you had to be 18 years old to apply. So I was confused whether I should apply for the degree apprenticeships in the next application windows (autumn time)- once I'm in year 13 (18 years old) or when I have finished my a levels.

No, you should be applying in year 13. That's when most people apply as if you're applying to university, however you're free to apply after you've finished A-levels though this would essentially function as a gap year. I think it's best if you apply in year 13, and after you finish A-levels. It's likely you won't get any offers in the first application window because of competition, so a second year with more experience is never a bad thing. Personally, I am at the end of year 13, so I have been applying this year. I was hoping you were applying for the fields of law or finance since that is what I'm most well versed in, and I got offers from 3 or so top firms. Regardless, I imagine the application process for any degree apprenticeship being fairly similar: initial written stage, some sort of game based assessment testing range of skills such as mathematics and reading comprehension, an interview whether this be via HireVue/telephone/in-person, and an assessment centre with a final interview where you do some group tasks before it is determined whether you get an offer. Lmk if you have any more questions.
Reply 5
Original post by JJES
Hi,
I am currently in year 12 and will start year 13 in September. I just was wondering when is the time to start applying for degree apprenticeships (is it now or is it when I start year 13 in September onwards) so that i can start it after i finish year 13?

Vacancies open all year round, you just have to pay attention to the given start date. A lot of them will cater towards students finishing college, 6th form, etc, so will not start until August/September but it does vary. I was applying all year round but got more serious about it around February-May because I noticed more positions.

You also have to take into account that once you start applying you have to be ready to start interviewing as well. If you have other commitments, you will have to find the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending