The Student Room Group

Am I too old or late for pursuing a masters in finance?

I have an MA in Economics and currently preparing for GRE. I am 25 years old. I flunked college and dropped a year because of Anxiety Disorder. Am I too late?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by masala_peanuts
I have an MA in Economics and currently preparing for GRE. I am 25 years old. I flunked college and dropped a year because of Anxiety Disorder. Am I too late?

Too late for what exactly?

If you want to do a master's, you can do it at any age provided you can get the funding for it and you meet all the other necessary entry requirements.

If you are asking whether you're able to get into the finance sector with it, then it depends more on the employer than anything else (ageism is said to be prevalent in the industry). Having said that, you normally don't need a degree to get into finance, just the relevant professional qualification.

If you're asking whether it's worth doing a master's, when I was doing my master's in the subject I have come across people who are in their 30s with kids, and I even came across people who were in their 60s doing their postgrads. It's usually not just those who are in their early 20s applying for the course. You can always pursue the PhD afterwards, but I wouldn't know what the universities would think at postdoc because this usually depends on the individual and not the age of the person. Having said that, I have come across doctorates in their 60s who just got into the field after a recent career change, so it's not uncommon.

If you are more specific about your concerns, I might be able to help alleviate them better.
You are never to late to pursue a new or change in career. If you find a subject you are interested in, find a course, search for funding options and go for it! If you have anxiety disorder, you can always find an online Masters course if that makes studying easier - for example, the Open University in the UK.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending