The Student Room Group

N/A

…..
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by bamsa
Having an ongoing crisis with my a levels choices. I achieved A*A*A* in my end of year mocks last month so I am doing well, but i’m just not completely happy with my subjects. I feel like I’ve wasted my potential by not choosing bio/chem. They would’ve given me more options at degree level (don’t wish to do medicine, but I would’ve had the option of doing subjects like biotechnology, optometry, neuroscience etc). But then again, I don’t think im naturally super talented with stem (with GCSES I spent most of my time revising bio, mainly because I enjoyed it, but in the end scraped a 9 by 2 marks, compared to the humanities which I excelled in). I might just obsessed with the ‘idea’ of these subjects, where in reality if I were to take them I’d likely struggle. When choosing my a levels, I just chose a useful subject, an enjoyable one, and one I was good at. The reason I didn’t take the sciences (I do do maths though) is because I always felt like they’d be too difficult for me as i didnt have a natural aptitude. Despite this, I did end up with 999 in triple science.

I’ve just done so much (over) thinking in these last months. Here are my options:

1. Just stick with my current subjects. I really don’t like one of them, but I do well in it, and there is only one year left. With this option i’d most likely be able to achieve the highest grades. I would go to uni for psych (which I do absolutely love) at hopefully a top uni

2. Take up either bio/chem now. This is a difficult one, as I would have to learn the year 12 content over summer and join a year 13 class as normal after summer, but it will take a lot of stress and i’m not sure if I will do well. There’s a chance I will sacrifice my other grades. If I am able to do well though, this would have the best outcome as i’d have the a level within the 2 year period (and either come out with 3 subjects having dropped one of my current, or 4 if I take it alongside my 3 current subjects)

3. Restart the year completely with new subjects. The issue with this is that I have no idea how I would find bio and chem, so restarting is super risky as I could wind up with much lower grades in the end after 3 years, instead of top grades after 2 years. I know resitting this year isn’t overly unusual, but it is almost hit or miss as I will either be super happy with my decision, or be super regretful and feel as though I wasted a year and find it difficult to make new friends etc

Should I just suck it up and keep going with my subjects? How do I get over the ‘what ifs’ and constant nagging which tells me i’m missing out by not doing the sciences.? You might say to base this decision off of what I want to do in the future/career, but honestly I have no idea!!!

Please help!!

Hi,
I am sorry that you are struggling with this, it sounds like it is stressful having this decision in the back of your mind all the time.
In terms of wasting your potential - in the grand scheme of things A Levels do not matter when you start higher education, so as long as your choices give you the options to study what you want to later on (or at least give you good general options if you are not sure) then it would be worth carrying on with them. Another option might be doing a foundation year at a university if your choices do not line up with the course that you want to do.
In terms of natural aptitude, this does not count for much at A-level as high grades come primarily from hard work and with work you will increase your aptitude for the subject anyway - so if this is what is stopping you from changing then I would think about this. Especially as you have shown that you can do well if you work hard through your GCSE grades.
I would check with specific universities for biotechnology and neuroscience, to see whether it is still an option to apply for these subjects with your current A Levels. If it is not possible and you do go for option 2 - I would recommend only taking 3 A levels as doing 4 does not advantage you in the majority of applications and it will give you less time to get up to scratch with bio/chem.
In terms of the 'what ifs' they may always be there, but nothing is set in stone and there are always so many different ways to get into careers and degrees so whatever you decide now does not have to influence you forever.
I hope this has helped you somewhat, but at the end of the day I think it is a decision you have to make.
Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help and good luck with your decision making and future!
Evie (Medical student at UoS)

Quick Reply

Latest