The Student Room Group

How should I approach year 12?

I'm taking Art, Sociology and Media Studies and want to go to uni but I don't have any specific course in mind. I have ADHD and struggle with organisation and motivation, but so far year 12 doesn't seem very demanding. If I revise my notes a bit and do my homework will I be ok? Any tips from fellow ADHDers on getting motivated and organising my time?
Original post by twyman
I'm taking Art, Sociology and Media Studies and want to go to uni but I don't have any specific course in mind. I have ADHD and struggle with organisation and motivation, but so far year 12 doesn't seem very demanding. If I revise my notes a bit and do my homework will I be ok? Any tips from fellow ADHDers on getting motivated and organising my time?

Hi @twyman

I definitely think organisation is key for A Levels, and of course you want to be able to enjoy yourself too, so having a good plan is key.

I found that year 12 was a bit more relaxed than year 13, but exam season does come around quickly, so use year 12 to your advantage. A slow and steady approach is good. Try to keep on top of your work/notes so that when you come to revise more in year 13 you don't have to go over the same stuff all over again. Try thinking about future you - you want to be able to make life for you in a year's time as straight forward as possible. If you have some extra time now, make some revision material to use later on, that sort of thing.

Like you said, do your homework, go over your notes, take your time to process the information. I find it best to revise little and often - short revision sessions scattered throughout your week so you don't get too overwhelmed with hours upon hours of revision.

Motivation wise - get planning! Personally, my biggest de-motivator to revise was feeling like all my time was going towards studying. So, I found that by planning extra fun things in my week that I would use as dedicated rest/chill time helped me stay focused when I was studying, and also helped me to actually relax when I was supposed to be relaxing! Maybe you could arrange to meet with friends, go for a walk/do a sport you love, or even just set aside time to watch a movie at home with no distractions. The last thing you want is to feel burnt out, so find time to both study and chill.

Hopefully this helps! And remember to keep a balance between studying and having fun!

Best of luck
Emily
Student Rep at BCU 🙂
You should try and recap on everything you have learned in your subjects each week e.g I make flashcards on the topics i've done and look over them every week to make sure I don't forget everything else by the time of year 12 exams - its better to revise content as you go along than to cram it all before your exams remember :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest