The Student Room Group

Can I accept a partially funded PhD while trying to secure additional funding?

I'm currently a MRes (history) student and I applied for a PhD project with my current supervisor. The project is perfect for me as my supervisor applied for funding for it based on my interest in doing a PhD with her. I was made an offer by my university, which means I have a place on the project and they will cover the cost of tuition fees.

Obviously this is great news but I still have the issue of funding my living expenses. I don't have parents that would be able to help me out here so I would have to do this independently. There are a few places I can apply to, some research institutions and charities that could help out but I would likely need to get a job and I know that is extremely stressful while completing a PhD.

The university has asked me to make a decision ASAP so they can either let the other candidates know they have been unsuccessful if I accept or offer the place to the second candidate if I reject. Ideally, I would like to accept the offer while I try and secure additional funding and if I cannot, then I would likely have to reject. But I feel like this might be unfair on the other candidates and also make me look bad from the university's/supervisors perspective.

Any advice on this would be appreciated!
Original post by Jaina98
I'm currently a MRes (history) student and I applied for a PhD project with my current supervisor. The project is perfect for me as my supervisor applied for funding for it based on my interest in doing a PhD with her. I was made an offer by my university, which means I have a place on the project and they will cover the cost of tuition fees.

Obviously this is great news but I still have the issue of funding my living expenses. I don't have parents that would be able to help me out here so I would have to do this independently. There are a few places I can apply to, some research institutions and charities that could help out but I would likely need to get a job and I know that is extremely stressful while completing a PhD.

The university has asked me to make a decision ASAP so they can either let the other candidates know they have been unsuccessful if I accept or offer the place to the second candidate if I reject. Ideally, I would like to accept the offer while I try and secure additional funding and if I cannot, then I would likely have to reject. But I feel like this might be unfair on the other candidates and also make me look bad from the university's/supervisors perspective.

Any advice on this would be appreciated!

What are your university's rules on accepting without full funding in place?

Usually you accept regardless, and then withdraw if you can't make funding. You accept immediately, and then pull together as much funding as you can, and then go back to your Uni and ask if they can 'top up'.

As it is, you should speak to your Supervisor. It is unlikely that anyone further down the list that you has full funding in place, but is still on a reserve list, so you are still in a strong position. You need to talk to your Supervisor though.

It's no more stressful working during a PhD than it is during any other degree (or working and organising a wedding, buying a house, looking after children or any other life steps).
Reply 2
Accept. If you end up having to pull out, then (depending on how they work) someone further down the list may still be offered your fee waiver.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending