The Student Room Group

Scholorship and language

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum as well as Unis in UK. I'm an international student. I have 7.98 CGPA from my BA degree in Economics. It isn't from an elite institution in my country but from a college in the next reputable category. Is it possible for me to get scholarships with my score in any of Nottingham, Birmingham (have got offer for these two), Bristol, Manchester, Warwick universities (awaiting response fro these 3)?
My spoken English skills haven't been up to the mark lately. I scored 6.5 in that category in IELTS, which is more than enough to meet the university requirements. But I'm not confident in it being good enough. Will that be of any issue when studying? I don't have any problem with listening, reading or writing though.
Original post by Jevi
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum as well as Unis in UK. I'm an international student. I have 7.98 CGPA from my BA degree in Economics. It isn't from an elite institution in my country but from a college in the next reputable category. Is it possible for me to get scholarships with my score in any of Nottingham, Birmingham (have got offer for these two), Bristol, Manchester, Warwick universities (awaiting response fro these 3)?
My spoken English skills haven't been up to the mark lately. I scored 6.5 in that category in IELTS, which is more than enough to meet the university requirements. But I'm not confident in it being good enough. Will that be of any issue when studying? I don't have any problem with listening, reading or writing though.

Your challenge is much more likely to be finding a scholarship. Why would any UK university have a scholarship for an overseas student to study economics?

Find the scholarships, then worry about meeting their requirements. IELTS will be a university issue, not a scholarship issue, and most have firm boundaries you must meet.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Your challenge is much more likely to be finding a scholarship. Why would any UK university have a scholarship for an overseas student to study economics?

Find the scholarships, then worry about meeting their requirements. IELTS will be a university issue, not a scholarship issue, and most have firm boundaries you must meet.

Lancaster and Sheffield universities have already sent a mail regarding scholarship for me which is what got me wondering if other universities would provide them as well. I also remember some universities mentioning them in their websites even for International students, although I'm not sure on which university it was. I'm not asking about the spoken English skills being low for scholarship. I'm asking for it regarding communicating properly with fellow students and professors.
Original post by Jevi

Hi @Jevi

I'd suggest you to please contact the university's admission/scholarship team in regards to the eligibility. Coming to IELTS score, your score probably doesn't matter unless and until your English language marks in your previous educational qualification/+12 doesn't meet the university's English language eligibility criteria. Hope this helps:smile: .

Kind regards
Reply 4
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi @Jevi

I'd suggest you to please contact the university's admission/scholarship team in regards to the eligibility. Coming to IELTS score, your score probably doesn't matter unless and until your English language marks in your previous educational qualification/+12 doesn't meet the university's English language eligibility criteria. Hope this helps:smile: .

Kind regards

I understand. I'll try contacting them. My IELTS score is enough for the universities. I'm not worried about that. Despite my marks being enough, I'm worried that I can't communicate fluently with classmates. That is what concerns me.
Reply 5
Be aware that scholarships granted by universities (or any other UK institution) for international students are very scarce in the UK, even for PhD students. Probably the information provided to you by Lancaster and Sheffield was related to scholarship options you might have available from other sources.

In the very rare occasion you can find a scholarship granted by the same institution usually these are partial scholarships covering tuition fees (or part of them) and the like.

Universities (and the government) would expect that any student coming to the UK has enough funds to cover fees and other expenses in full, unless the student has previously secured a full scholarship before submitting the application for a student visa and enrollment in the course.

Take a look at the last announcements from the UK Government. It indicates that this will be enforced even more from the next academic year.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PPK3000
Be aware that scholarships granted by universities (or any other UK institution) for international students are very scarce in the UK, even for PhD students. Probably the information provided to you by Lancaster and Sheffield was related to scholarship options you might have available from other sources.

In the very rare occasion you can find a scholarship granted by the same institution usually these are partial scholarships covering tuition fees (or part of them) and the like.

Universities (and the government) would expect that any student coming to the UK has enough funds to cover fees and other expenses in full, unless the student has previously secured a full scholarship before submitting the application for a student visa and enrollment in the course.

Take a look at the last announcements from the UK Government. It indicates that this will be enforced even more from the next academic year.

Thank you for the information. I just read the mails again. The scholarships are from the universities themselves to cover a portion of the tuition fee. I do have sufficient funds to support myself, but a scholarship will definitely make it a lot more convenient. I'll looks into the government's announcements like you said. Thank you
Reply 7
Read carefully the eligibility criteria for such scholarships and email the universities if in doubt. As any other scholarship, these have specific requirements and likely very limited in number of applicants granted.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by PPK3000
Read carefully the eligibility criteria for such scholarships and email the universities if in doubt. As any other scholarship, these have specific requirements and likely very limited in number of applicants granted.

I'm eligible for the scholarship upon formally accepting the offer. The offer itself is conditional. I have to get 6.5 Average on IELTS. I have secured that score. The scholarship doesn't have any other condition that needs to be fulfilled. So now i can accept the offer and the scholarship as well (For Sheffield and Lancaster Unis). I checked Bristol's website for scholarship. Unfortunately the deadline for applying for scholarship has passed already. Thank you for the reply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending