The Student Room Group

HSPS A- Levels

I have to choose my a- levels over the next few months (currently year 11) and am looking to study HSPS at cambridge. I also, however have a huge love for the performing arts and have considered going into theatre many times.

I am predicted 7s, 8s and 9s in my GCSEs and am taking all the cores and Religion (which was compulsory), Spanish (also compulsory), music and drama.

I was originally going to apply to take English Lit, Politics and Performing Arts/Drama (PA is a BTEC) so that I had something creative to do. However, cambridge’s website say that they don’t like these subjects which i am assuming will heavily affect my chance of acceptance.

So, my dilemma is, do I apply for history (which I didn’t take a GCSE in but think the course looks super interesting, sociology (never really considered but looks relatively ok but unsure what cambridge think of it however I understand it to be course relevant), Spanish (which I absolutely hate but am ok at and know Oxbridge LOVE).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by kittieee
I have to choose my a- levels over the next few months (currently year 11) and am looking to study HSPS at cambridge. I also, however have a huge love for the performing arts and have considered going into theatre many times.

I am predicted 7s, 8s and 9s in my GCSEs and am taking all the cores and Religion (which was compulsory), Spanish (also compulsory), music and drama.

I was originally going to apply to take English Lit, Politics and Performing Arts/Drama (PA is a BTEC) so that I had something creative to do. However, cambridge’s website say that they don’t like these subjects which i am assuming will heavily affect my chance of acceptance.

So, my dilemma is, do I apply for history (which I didn’t take a GCSE in but think the course looks super interesting, sociology (never really considered but looks relatively ok but unsure what cambridge think of it however I understand it to be course relevant), Spanish (which I absolutely hate but am ok at and know Oxbridge LOVE).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

English lit and politics are fine. If you are aiming to do drama I would suggest doing the A-level if you must, and while it may not be the best preparation for formal academic courses with two traditionally academic subjects like English lit and politics you'll probably be fine (also since anthropology is part of HSPS that may soften their approach a little - LSE, one of the few unis with a preferred subject list, actually at least used to note that music and drama were considered "preferred" subjects by the anthropology department due to their thematic relationship with the study of human culture).

It is of course possible to just continue your dramatic interests outside of a formal qualification. Join a drama club at school, participate in school or local theatre productions, etc. If you enjoy performing then that's going to do more for your interest then taking a formal qualification where you are going to be examined on it anyway.

That said of the other subjects you note, sociology would be quite thematically relevant for HSPS but you should have an actual interest in the material before considering taking it. History is what you make of it, if you think you'll do well and find the specific topics your school will be doing interesting (as different schools do different options very often) then it's a consideration.

Oxbridge don't "love" languages for the sake of languages. Don't take Spanish unless you are very sure you will do well and enjoy it for itself. A-level languages are widely known to be quite intensive in terms of workload.
Cambridge HSPS student here

Choose it only if you enjoy social sciences! Politics has a bit of a philosophical/thinker-based flavour, but overall it's mostly social scienc-y. Same with Sociology and Anthropology. You might also swap any of these for a subject from different (selected) departments.

For A-Levels, I'd say definitely essay-based, 'classic' ones would be your best choice - keep up one creative if you want, but do make sure you get a good grade most of all. Getting into Oxbridge is not about being the best or the smartest: it has a lot to do with attitude and affinity to the college.... but you only get to this stage (interview) if have top grades - and thus the ability to perform well when it'll come to the entrance test (essay based). Don't forget the sprinkle of luck, too, so do think about how your overall application looks for other unis.

Cambridge has a HUGE performing arts scene. You can do anything, from producing, to writing, acting, technical stuff... anything. It'll all be hands-on experience, the learn-as-you-go rather than having a course teaching theory of the arts etc., but then it'd be your choice whether you want the theory stuff too or not.
It'll be hard and you'll have to learn how to compromise between the two, but there are people who get involved in many more things and can still cope well. It'll teach you so much about time management and self-organisation, which is always good on the CV!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending