The Student Room Group

Software engineer new job offer

I have been offered a job locally with 2 days in office with option to work remote in the future. Its a deal breaker as i want to buy a house somewhere north and i dont want people breathing down my back in the office.However after accepting the offer and terms the recruiter came back and said 3 days per week is minimum. So that is ruining my plans and I looked locally and its impossible to purchase house with those prices. Also I don't think I will be able to manage with my experience. I'm a core php programmer and during interview tests I lack knowledge so I think I should look for junior role and not mid. They offered 45k but like I said my conditions ain't met. What should I do?
Reply 1
If you don't think you can handle I doubt it would be wise to take the job, so I would say look for a junior role that you are more confident with, housing prices have become pretty bad these so you'll likely have to save for some time or look in a cheaper area. Although I'd say 3 days in Office is pretty good as many people have to work in Office 5-6 days a week. Bottom line though, don't take a job you can't handle, I'd say look for a junior role.
Reply 2
Personally I think 45k for mid is a joke. For backend, I swear juniors are on at least that or above…? That is also what I’m going for.

Don’t be worried about not being a suitable fit - everyone experiences imposter syndrome in jobs especially in this field.

Also, what does your portfolio look like? Just interested. :smile:

Original post by johnathanReid
I have been offered a job locally with 2 days in office with option to work remote in the future. Its a deal breaker as i want to buy a house somewhere north and i dont want people breathing down my back in the office.However after accepting the offer and terms the recruiter came back and said 3 days per week is minimum. So that is ruining my plans and I looked locally and its impossible to purchase house with those prices. Also I don't think I will be able to manage with my experience. I'm a core php programmer and during interview tests I lack knowledge so I think I should look for junior role and not mid. They offered 45k but like I said my conditions ain't met. What should I do?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Amb/conf
If you don't think you can handle I doubt it would be wise to take the job, so I would say look for a junior role that you are more confident with, housing prices have become pretty bad these so you'll likely have to save for some time or look in a cheaper area. Although I'd say 3 days in Office is pretty good as many people have to work in Office 5-6 days a week. Bottom line though, don't take a job you can't handle, I'd say look for a junior role.

Was advised to put down laravel even though I'm learning it so technically junior experience and my other experience is not to industry standard. So I think safe bet is to find junior role and learn the ropes for good company also remote is deal breaker for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending