The Student Room Group

Politics alevel Edexcel

Do you have any tips or a certain textbook that came in handy? I'm a student that is finishing GCSEs looking forward for alevels
Reply 1
I did Edexcel Politics and ended up getting A*. My college gave us textbooks we needed to have but honestly they weren't that useful. Textbooks will help you with learning theories and political science, the sort of bits you need to understand and not just know. But real life examples are just as, if not more, important because that what lets you back up all your arguments in your essays (you NEED to do this to get a decent grade) and is also useful outside of exams in debates and classroom discussion. So it's really really important to follow the news, watch it, read it, discuss it. Mainly discuss it. In terms of revision, making essay plans for potential essay questions is very useful. Come up with a few points for both sides of an argument and find examples for each point. I also find revising and making essay plans with a friend helpful as you get a different perspective.

Ultimately, in my opinion Politics isn't just a subject you grind, study all the facts, and come out with perfect grades. Maybe it is for some people but I found the people who did best in my classes were the ones who were really interested and engaged in politics outside the classroom too. Read about politics and discuss it with people, listen to other opinions because even if you think they're ridiculous they'll teach you a few arguments you can use in your essays. If your sixth form / college has a debate society or a politics society consider joining that.
Original post by alissara
Do you have any tips or a certain textbook that came in handy? I'm a student that is finishing GCSEs looking forward for alevels

Generally, no.

I purchased a textbook specifically for A Level Politics, and I didn't find it extremely helpful (exorbitantly priced too). I'd mainly use it to either get ahead of the content or to try and understand a topic more.

The key to A Level Politics is current affairs - you need to keep up with the news and use them as examples in your essays. This might seem a bit daunting at first, but you really do get the hang of it with practice. You learn that examples can be rinsed and repeated in different essays and some examples are just no-brainers for certain types of questions. Generally, you'd have to use a current affairs example in every paragraph.

The more recent/niche your examples, the better. The exam board prefer that over the 'textbook' examples. Your teacher should be able to teach you the theory, but it's your responsibility to fish for the examples - you can't get higher than a grade D otherwise.

Some useful Instagram accounts to help you:
@ukfactcheckpolitics
@simplepolitics
@politicsjoe
@nowthispolitics
@humanrightswatch
@worldofwestminster
@newsofpolitics
@politicsmatters.co.uk
@politics.forall

The top ones are a lot more active than the ones at the bottom. It might also help to follow mainstream media outlines, such as The Guardian, The Sun, Sky News, The Independent, The Economist, etc.

Most importantly, just enjoy your summer. Nothing you do now will realistically change your grade come year 13. Follow those accounts, passively take in the news they give you and just relax and enjoy a nice break.

Good luck with your studies, I'm sure you'll love the course. :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alissara

Oh my god just enjoy your summer. Looking over stuff before year 12 will not help you at all, and will certainly not be what makes the difference in your grade at the end of year 13. Don't risk the burn out and just have one of the last truly stress-free, no-academic-work summers of your life you'll have in a while and go into year 12 feeling refreshed and ready.

Quick Reply

Latest