The Student Room Group

Options for applying with exams disrupted by surgery

I didn't apply to any universities this year, and was intending to take the year out and apply in October 2023 for Oxford. However, I was hospitalised due to perforated intestines and had to undergo major surgery 2 or 3 months ago, I spent 8 weeks recovering and was not able to attend college or study much during this time. Exams are around the corner and I don't feel that I am going to perform as well as I need to. I achieved AAA in my AS (wjec so we still do AS). I have been considered for mitigating circumstances by the exam board, but this will only give me a 3% or 4% increase to my exams. Is resitting my only option, and will a resit reduce my chances of being accepted, or is it possible that they would be able to accept slightly lower grades given the situation? Many thanks in advance
Good evening,

so sorry to hear about your uneasy situation. I hope you are mostly recovered by now.

In my opinion, it is always good to talk the university you will be applying to. Talk to course supervisor or Admissions team before applying and explain them your situation why your grades might be lower. Usually they should understand it and if they see your interest and passion for the field you will be applying for, that should be the crucial factor for them. If you want to resit the exams, then you need to be ready for it and know that you will have enough time to study and make better grades.

I hope everything goes well for you and you manage to get to the university you are wishing to.

Good luck.

Lucie,
PhD student
Cranfield University
Reply 2
Original post by Cranfield University
Good evening,

so sorry to hear about your uneasy situation. I hope you are mostly recovered by now.

In my opinion, it is always good to talk the university you will be applying to. Talk to course supervisor or Admissions team before applying and explain them your situation why your grades might be lower. Usually they should understand it and if they see your interest and passion for the field you will be applying for, that should be the crucial factor for them. If you want to resit the exams, then you need to be ready for it and know that you will have enough time to study and make better grades.

I hope everything goes well for you and you manage to get to the university you are wishing to.

Good luck.

Lucie,
PhD student
Cranfield University

thanks for your reply. I will contact admissions before I make my application if I don't make the grades. Although I just sat maths unit 3 and it went quite well so I might make the grades after all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending