The Student Room Group

Failed my first exam in uni (2nd year dentistry)

I did really well in my coursework, OSCE, anatomy and got >75% for all these exams. I failed one section of my MCQ by 0.9% and was away from the overall pass mark by 0.6%.

I have had lots of personal stuff going on this academic year which have affected my results (two surgeries, one was 10 days before my MCQ exam, aunt passing away). I applied for mitigating circumstances ages ago but was never told of the outcome. I emailed asking if my mitigating circumstances was taken into consideration and what would come next.

They arranged me a meeting in 2 days and I was told resits would be sometime in July. They also said if I was confused to read the handbook with regards to weightings. The handbook says I have to pass both sections of the MCQ to pass the exam overall but now I cannot get a distinction if I resit. It also says if I got 64.5% - 65% then the exam board would meet to discuss whether it would be rounded up or down(65% is a pass, and I got 64.4%). If I apply my grades to their weightings in the handbook, I’d be well over a pass (74.2%). It seems really unfair that I was 0.01% away from the exam board meeting to decide if I was going to pass or not. Would anyone know my options here?

I just ask because I’ve been really unwell over this past year and have lots of follow up appointments in July/August in another city far away and may not even be available to resit. I’ve been feeling really dismissed from the dental school in regards to supporting me during these times and communicating to me updates with mitigating circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest