The Student Room Group

Mental health

Do you ever have a moment when everything in your brain mashes together and it like you can't talk or feel anything? is that called something? I feel like that happens to me a lot and everything bad comes like rushing back and I just can't even understand it all really.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Do you ever have a moment when everything in your brain mashes together and it like you can't talk or feel anything? is that called something? I feel like that happens to me a lot and everything bad comes like rushing back and I just can't even understand it all really.

This is quite a common experience when we get a rush of emotion (any emotion, good or bad). It can feel quite overwhelming sometimes. Basically, there may be times when our emotional or survival brain takes over and our logical/rational brain is pushed aside, for example, when our fight or flight system kicks in. Trying to ground yourself can be helpful. You could try looking around and saying out loud things you can see, hear, touch, smell, or taste to try and bring yourself back into the present. It could also be that, if bad things are 'rushing back' there may be things you haven't processed that keep creeping back into the present, so exploring that might be helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest