The Student Room Group

Is a second Masters worth it?

I am a 26M and have been working in the Building Services industry for about a year now. I have a BEng in Mechanical Engineering and an MSc in Product Design.

Looking at my field, I'm interested in progressing quickly and climbing up the corporate ladder as quick as possible. My company is great and provides as a lot of training and experience as graduates and have a sort of route towards chartership for us

I've been toying with the idea of doing another masters as my current one in product design is not accredited by IMechE and by doing another masters (namely in Building Services Engineering management) I'd be able to both get more technical and managerial knowledge as well as satisfy the needs for chartership immediately.
The masters would be at a part-time basis and would take 3 years or less. Money is not really an issue as the masters is very affordable for me. Mostly the time it'd take and whether it's worth doing it.

Is it worth doing a (second) masters? Any engineers out there what has been your experience? Is it worth it for the chartership or should I just stick with what I have? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by MikeyV77
I am a 26M and have been working in the Building Services industry for about a year now. I have a BEng in Mechanical Engineering and an MSc in Product Design.

Looking at my field, I'm interested in progressing quickly and climbing up the corporate ladder as quick as possible. My company is great and provides as a lot of training and experience as graduates and have a sort of route towards chartership for us

I've been toying with the idea of doing another masters as my current one in product design is not accredited by IMechE and by doing another masters (namely in Building Services Engineering management) I'd be able to both get more technical and managerial knowledge as well as satisfy the needs for chartership immediately.
The masters would be at a part-time basis and would take 3 years or less. Money is not really an issue as the masters is very affordable for me. Mostly the time it'd take and whether it's worth doing it.

Is it worth doing a (second) masters? Any engineers out there what has been your experience? Is it worth it for the chartership or should I just stick with what I have? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Which institute would you be looking to achieve chartership from, the IMechE or CIBSE? You don't need an accredited masters for IMechE chartership (not sure about CIBSE though). There are a variety of options for those who don't hold an accredited masters, one of which is to get your existing masters reviewed to see if it would otherwise meet the accreditation requirements. So if your main aim for the masters is to get chartered it may not be necessary - check with the institute you'd go through.

Hello! :smile:
I hope all is well.

I think it depends on what you are looking to do with the Masters and if it creates a direct link with your progression within your job. For example, I am completing my Masters at university in Psychology. I am hoping to become a researcher and Chester University offer another Masters degree for researching inparticular. Because of this, I am definately considering doing this second Masters degree within psychology research as it is directly in line with what I want to do and will increase my chances of getting a job. So then, I will have two masters that go hand in hand. I am part time too with my masters and I love it because the work experience I am gaining along side my masters is such a luxury. I'm sure this would be the same for you! :smile:

Also, if money isnt an issue, it may be worth doing the masters as thats a huge bonus :smile:!! Seems to me like you have nothing to loose! Having a second masters is also great because it could thicken your chases of doing a PHD in the future if you every wanted to get a PHD too :smile:

I hope this helps!
All the best
Laura

Hey!
As a student ambassador, I can provide some insights into your situation. Deciding whether to pursue a second master's degree is a personal choice that depends on various factors. Here are a few things to consider:

Relevance to your career goals: Evaluate how closely the master's program in Building Services Engineering Management aligns with your long-term career aspirations. Will it provide you with the necessary technical and managerial skills you desire to progress in your field? Research the curriculum and course offerings to determine if it covers areas that are important to your career advancement.

Accreditation and Chartership: Since you mentioned that your current MSc in Product Design is not accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), pursuing a master's degree that is recognized by the relevant professional body may be beneficial. IMechE accreditation can support your journey towards chartership and enhance your professional credibility within the Building Services industry.

Time commitment: Consider the time it will take to complete the second master's degree on a part-time basis. Will you be able to balance your work responsibilities, personal life, and the demands of the program effectively? Assess the feasibility of committing to three or fewer years of additional studies alongside your current job.

Return on investment: While you mentioned that money is not a significant concern, it's still worth evaluating the potential return on investment. Research the career prospects and salary expectations for individuals with a master's degree in Building Services Engineering Management. Consider whether the enhanced knowledge and credentials from the second master's degree will significantly boost your career advancement and earning potential.

Alternative pathways: Reflect on other potential avenues for professional growth and career progression within your current field. Are there opportunities for specialized certifications, professional development programs, or targeted training courses that can help you acquire the desired technical and managerial skills? Assess whether these alternatives might be more time and cost-effective compared to pursuing a second master's degree.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a second master's degree should be based on a comprehensive evaluation of your goals, aspirations, and available opportunities. It can be helpful to seek advice from professionals in your field, such as mentors or colleagues who have taken similar paths. Additionally, consulting with your company's human resources or career development team can provide valuable insights and guidance specific to your organization.

Remember, career advancement is a multifaceted process, and advanced education is just one component. Practical experience, networking, and continuous professional development are also crucial for climbing the corporate ladder.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
> have been working in the Building Services industry

Do you work with other chartered engineers? Do you have someone who is chartered and can be your mentor? You need to write 4 years worth of reports and then submit a final report for your chartership, once you have your educational requirements sorted out.

Frankly there wasn't any point. Unless you are a structural engineer and you need to stamp and sign off a bridge design or whatever CEng isn't really beneficial.

I was working in the automotive industry and got 3/4 years done towards my Chartership, but left to work in tech in the end. My partner is an engineer and she just sent off for her final interview dates to get chartered. It really doesn't matter too much unless your industry is asking you specifically to have it to be able to do something like sign off a design.
Original post by UoS PG students
Hey!
As a student ambassador, I can provide some insights into your situation. Deciding whether to pursue a second master's degree is a personal choice that depends on various factors. Here are a few things to consider:

Relevance to your career goals: Evaluate how closely the master's program in Building Services Engineering Management aligns with your long-term career aspirations. Will it provide you with the necessary technical and managerial skills you desire to progress in your field? Research the curriculum and course offerings to determine if it covers areas that are important to your career advancement.

Accreditation and Chartership: Since you mentioned that your current MSc in Product Design is not accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), pursuing a master's degree that is recognized by the relevant professional body may be beneficial. IMechE accreditation can support your journey towards chartership and enhance your professional credibility within the Building Services industry.

Time commitment: Consider the time it will take to complete the second master's degree on a part-time basis. Will you be able to balance your work responsibilities, personal life, and the demands of the program effectively? Assess the feasibility of committing to three or fewer years of additional studies alongside your current job.

Return on investment: While you mentioned that money is not a significant concern, it's still worth evaluating the potential return on investment. Research the career prospects and salary expectations for individuals with a master's degree in Building Services Engineering Management. Consider whether the enhanced knowledge and credentials from the second master's degree will significantly boost your career advancement and earning potential.

Alternative pathways: Reflect on other potential avenues for professional growth and career progression within your current field. Are there opportunities for specialized certifications, professional development programs, or targeted training courses that can help you acquire the desired technical and managerial skills? Assess whether these alternatives might be more time and cost-effective compared to pursuing a second master's degree.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a second master's degree should be based on a comprehensive evaluation of your goals, aspirations, and available opportunities. It can be helpful to seek advice from professionals in your field, such as mentors or colleagues who have taken similar paths. Additionally, consulting with your company's human resources or career development team can provide valuable insights and guidance specific to your organization.

Remember, career advancement is a multifaceted process, and advanced education is just one component. Practical experience, networking, and continuous professional development are also crucial for climbing the corporate ladder.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Okay GPT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending