The Student Room Group

Studying A levels without GCSE/GCSE equivalents?

Hi, so I’m currently 17, and am in the last year of secondary school in Malaysia. However, I will be moving to the UK soon as a dependant. From my age, I should be in Year 13 according to UK’s school system. Would I be able to enter Year 13 without GCSE or GCSE equivalents?

I’m not sure where else to ask about this. Any answer would be appreciated! I’ve been stressed and confused over it for some time.

I am well aware that Year 13 is the second year of A levels. However, I do know that as long as I study I will be able to get through it. And I do have good results to go with it. However, I just do not have an official certificate as mentioned above. All I have is my final year result of last year’s school exams. I just want to know if it’s possible, because I want to go back to school, however there’s an age limit.
Reply 1
hey so I moved to the UK and was put into year 12 even though in the country I was living in, I'd be in year 13. I didn't do GCSEs either and honestly that's not an issue as long as you have some grades to show. However, it depends what system you are currently doing as the British system was really a big change for me and getting use to exam technique does take time.
Original post by intjyn
Hi, so I’m currently 17, and am in the last year of secondary school in Malaysia. However, I will be moving to the UK soon as a dependant. From my age, I should be in Year 13 according to UK’s school system. Would I be able to enter Year 13 without GCSE or GCSE equivalents?

I’m not sure where else to ask about this. Any answer would be appreciated! I’ve been stressed and confused over it for some time.

I am well aware that Year 13 is the second year of A levels. However, I do know that as long as I study I will be able to get through it. And I do have good results to go with it. However, I just do not have an official certificate as mentioned above. All I have is my final year result of last year’s school exams. I just want to know if it’s possible, because I want to go back to school, however there’s an age limit.
Reply 2
Original post by purple_1710
hey so I moved to the UK and was put into year 12 even though in the country I was living in, I'd be in year 13. I didn't do GCSEs either and honestly that's not an issue as long as you have some grades to show. However, it depends what system you are currently doing as the British system was really a big change for me and getting use to exam technique does take time.

Hi, thanks for the response. It’s not too different so I’m not that worried about it. However, may I know if it’s likely I will be requested to take a test?
Reply 3
hmmm that might be the case especially if you're wanting to enter the final year straight away, I think you'd have to ask the school that you're thinking of applying too though to make sure
Reply 4
Original post by purple_1710
hmmm that might be the case especially if you're wanting to enter the final year straight away, I think you'd have to ask the school that you're thinking of applying too though to make sure

I see. I hope you don’t mind answering another question. I’m currently researching for secondary schools but I realised Year 12 and 13 are considered college? I’m still confused by the differences. If you’re able to share your experience it will be great! Especially your own process of searching for schools if that is possible. Thank you
Reply 5
no problem :smile: so yes year 12 and year 13 are called 'Sixth form' it's just the name given to the two last years of school. You can go to a sixth form college which is a school but there are just year 12 and 13s. Or there's usual schools with all years up to 13. I am at a school but honestly Sixth Form colleges look really good. They often look like mini university campuses which is what I really liked.
So I'd first see if you would prefer to be in a school with just the Y12/13 or if you prefer a typical school. Then for finding a suitable school I would suggest just seeing which are the top schools in the area you're looking at and see their A-Level grades, so are pupils getting As and A* or are they getting Cs and Ds.
Honestly they're all quite similar, but of course some will have better reputations than others, just find one you like the look of :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by intjyn

Heya!
The specific entry requirements for Year 13 in the UK can vary between schools and colleges. Generally, schools may require you to have completed specific qualifications such as GCSEs or their equivalents. It would be best to reach out to the schools or colleges you are interested in attending to inquire about their specific entry requirements and whether they would consider alternative qualifications or assessments for admission :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest