The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Vivisteiner
And I'm scared.

I was psyching myself up for the interview big time; rereading the AS syllabus, reading ahead to A level, analysing every line in my personal statement. And then my interviews combined lasted only just over half an hour. And I was asked only one subject related 'proper' calculation question (I applied for Natural Sciences Physical). I started off on completely the wrong track (stupidly), but then he pointed me on the right track and I worked the answer out easily. The rest of the time was spent discussing stuff.

What I wan't to know is - is that bad or good? I got 11A*s at GCSE and 4As at A level (Maths 98%, Physics 97%, Biology 96%, Chemistry 94%).

I was expecting them to ask harder and harder questions until they found my 'ceiling'. This didn't happen at all. I could have been the best mathematician in the country and they would have had no idea...

Same here, pretty much. I wouldn't worry too much.
Reply 61
Lol, well all I can say is all the best. My interview (this time last year) was kinda easy, but comparatively the course is a lot harder than anything they could have thrown at me in interview - so don't be fooled! Just put your fingers crossed for the EE offer.
Reply 62
Vivisteiner
And I'm scared.

I was psyching myself up for the interview big time; rereading the AS syllabus, reading ahead to A level, analysing every line in my personal statement. And then my interviews combined lasted only just over half an hour. And I was asked only one subject related 'proper' calculation question (I applied for Natural Sciences Physical). I started off on completely the wrong track (stupidly), but then he pointed me on the right track and I worked the answer out easily. The rest of the time was spent discussing stuff.

What I wan't to know is - is that bad or good? I got 11A*s at GCSE and 4As at A level (Maths 98%, Physics 97%, Biology 96%, Chemistry 94%).

I was expecting them to ask harder and harder questions until they found my 'ceiling'. This didn't happen at all. I could have been the best mathematician in the country and they would have had no idea...

Generally, if I find an interview easy, I do badly. If I find it hard/gruelling, my best flourishes! Sorry to put you down mate, but you never know - you could have done really exceptionally well or really bad!
Reply 63
@ebam_uk: lol, yeah, EE ftw. That would be jokes.

Same here, pretty much. I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm starting to wonder how they're going to decide between the candidates now. Maybe (hopefully for me) they'll go mostly by exam grades.

@ADREAM: Who knows..? I sure as hell don't.
I really hope both of us get an offer...
Reply 65
Vivisteiner
@ebam_uk: lol, yeah, EE ftw. That would be jokes.

I'm starting to wonder how they're going to decide between the candidates now. Maybe (hopefully for me) they'll go mostly by exam grades.

@ADREAM: Who knows..? I sure as hell don't.

Well you would be surprised how many candidates start to differentiate when asked to integrate.

My thought was exactly this, this time last year, dont worry yourself - ask them when you start next year probably. Just be warned, getting into Cambridge is one thing, being the best on your course and getting a 1st does require S*** loads of work.
Reply 66
@Christine: Me too. :biggrin:

And one more thing, the guy doing my first interview was 5 mins behind schedul and the guy doing me second interview was like 15 mins behind schedule. So maybe they were in a rush to finish. I remember the guy before me had a short interview as well (20 mins).

@ebam_uk: That's a slight problem. Trouble is, I'm a lazy bastard. e.g. I've wasted the whole of today instead of doing my homework. Then again, school is so uninspiring I may have an excuse. Hopefully at Uni I'll be able to motivate myself to work hard. I like how it has short terms.
Just wondering. What subjects are you doing at A2?
Reply 68
Vivisteiner
@Christine: Me too. :biggrin:

And one more thing, the guy doing my first interview was 5 mins behind schedul and the guy doing me second interview was like 15 mins behind schedule. So maybe they were in a rush to finish. I remember the guy before me had a short interview as well (20 mins).

@ebam_uk: That's a slight problem. Trouble is, I'm a lazy bastard. e.g. I've wasted the whole of today instead of doing my homework. Then again, school is so uninspiring I may have an excuse. Hopefully at Uni I'll be able to motivate myself to work hard. I like how it has short terms.

Well you find its slightly harder to be lazy because the workload is harder & much more intense than A levels. Looking back A Level's were a bit of a breeze compared 2 workload levels here.
Vivisteiner

Oooh, and I just realised I'm not allowed to mention even the most trifling details about my interview. You mod people (yes, YOU) are pretty darn harsh. :wink:
To be fair, colleges have actually contacted TSR in the past and demanded that they stop applicants leaking the questions.. same as with the exams. Moderation don't have much choice in the matter.
Re: your interview - all the questions in my (bio)NatSci interviews were pretty basic too. I made alot of stupid errors as a result of being almost incapacitated with nerves. After the interview I got home and all of the correct answers and details came flooding into my mind all at once. Just put it out of your mind till January!

Vazzyb
lol i wudnt say which ones!

...anywhere as public as TSR or you'd be crucified :biggrin:

There aren't any 'crap colleges', but some are better funded than others, which can make quite a difference to one's student experience. For instance - a richer college will be more able to maintain the accommodation and stock their libraries...
Reply 70
Just wondering. What subjects are you doing at A2?

Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry. I'm doing AS further maths as well.

Well you find its slightly harder to be lazy because the workload is harder & much more intense than A levels. Looking back A Level's were a bit of a breeze compared 2 workload levels here.

Yeah, I'll have to knuckle down.

@Craghyrax: Yeah, fair enough.

Btw, did you get in?
Vivisteiner
Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry. I'm doing AS further maths as well.

Yeah, I'll have to knuckle down.

Btw, did you get in?

I dropped Biology, doing Chemistry, Physics and Maths and extending furthermaths to A2. :smile:
Reply 72
^I was very tempted to do that, but I didn't. Mainly because I plan to choose the Evolution section in my first year, because it sounds like an interesting change of pace.
well looking at your grades....is it a suprise that you didn't find it too difficult?
congratulations! hope it all goes well for you
Reply 74
well looking at your grades....is it a suprise that you didn't find it too difficult?

Sort of, yes. I aced my A levels, but I'm not that good at Physics. So I was expecting some tough, beyond A-level questions on which I would fail.

For example, when I took the British Physics Olympiad, the hardest questions in that were very scary and beyond me.

congratulations! hope it all goes well for you

Thanks. Oh, and well done on the 11A*s!

Some people think you have to be amazing to get 11A*s or awesome at your subject to get 290/300, but thats not really true at all.
Reply 75
Vivisteiner
Sort of, yes. I aced my A levels, but I'm not that good at Physics. So I was expecting some tough, beyond A-level questions on which I would fail.

For example, when I took the British Physics Olympiad, the hardest questions in that were very scary and beyond me.

Thanks. Oh, and well done on the 11A*s!

Some people think you have to be amazing to get 11A*s or awesome at your subject to get 290/300, but thats not really true at all.

Lol modesty. Tbh, who cares once your actually in Cambridge!
ebam_uk
Lol modesty. Tbh, who cares once your actually in Cambridge!

^^ Exactly. Once you get to Cambridge no-one cares even slightly about your A level grades, we're all too focused on just getting the next piece of work in on time :rolleyes:
Vivisteiner

Btw, did you get in?

I was rejected for NatSci, and accepted for SPS on reapplication to a different college the year after.
Vivisteiner
And I'm scared.

To an extent that was the same for me. I got a relatively easy question compared to the ones I have been practicing, made a bit of a mistake but quickly realised and corrected it. To be honest they seemed far more concerned about what I had read and how enthusiastic i was about the subject.
Reply 79
I'm stilling looking for some prep. questions. Are there any on the internet?
Please post/PM if so...!
I would really feel better if I knew some physical questions that have A-level difficulty...:o:

Latest

Trending

Trending