The Student Room Group

Is picking English Lit and Maths at A level together a bad choice?

Im in yr11 and thinking of doing law probably at uni. Is it a bad choice for me to pick English Lit, Maths and Philosophy. My backup is probably banking/economics, and also I'd prefer to go to Oxford for Law, so would this be viable with these A level options?
Original post by jckmtt
Im in yr11 and thinking of doing law probably at uni. Is it a bad choice for me to pick English Lit, Maths and Philosophy. My backup is probably banking/economics, and also I'd prefer to go to Oxford for Law, so would this be viable with these A level options?

check if oxford have any preferred/compulsory subjects if thats your target. english lit and maths is a fine combination as long as you enjoy both. i do maths and my friend does english lit, she seems to have much less work to do than me so maths seems like it has more of a workload but as long as you think you can balance it i think its a good choice
Law has no specific subject requirements, so those would be fine! The english and maths combo is actually very strong. English shows your ability in essay writing, whilst maths is considered a science so you would be working with a strong skill set. As mentioned by the reply above, I would check if Oxford have any preferred subjects, as I know Cambridge considers English and History useful preparation. Also consider the possibility that you might end up changing your mind about law, so make sure your subjects would be ok for other courses you’d be interested in (for example you mention econ, in which maths is normally required, but further maths can also be useful). Unless you end up wanting to pursue a STEM degree, your options should be ok!

Quick Reply

Latest